Are you willing to become a JetBlue Pilot in 2022 but don’t know how to apply?
To assist you, we have created this detailed article covering the topics like requirements, processes, salary, pilot bases and much more.
JetBlue offers opportunities for aspirant aviators to become professional pilots and build their careers in the aviation industry.
So, let’s find out how you can become a pilot for JetBlue Airways.
- About JetBlue Airways
- How to become a JetBlue Pilot in 2022?
- JetBlue Airways Pilot Requirements
- JetBlue Airways Pilot Hiring Processes
- JetBlue Cadet Program Requirements
- JetBlue Gateway Select Cadet Program Costs
- Career Progression via Gateway Select Cadet Program
- JetBlue Airways Pilot Salary
- JetBlue Airways Pilot Benefits
- JetBlue Airways Pilot Uniform
- JetBlue Airways Pilot Bases
- Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
About JetBlue Airways
JetBlue Airways is one of the budget airlines of the United States that operates flights to more than 100 domestic and international destinations. The airline has its headquarter in Long Island City, New York City.
JetBlue operates flights from five bases located at different airports across the U.S. which are BOS (Boston), FLL (Fort Lauderdale), JFK (New York), LAX (Los Angeles) and MCO (Orlando).
As per the current fleet status, the airline operates flights with 8 Airbus A220-300, 130 Airbus A320-200, 63 Airbus A321-200, 3 Airbus A321LR, 18 Airbus A321neo and 60 Embraer 190. In addition, there are active orders for 62 A220-300, 10 A321LR, 41 A321neo and 13 A321XLR.
How to become a JetBlue Pilot in 2022?
JetBlue announces vacancies for pilots on its official website and as an applicant, you must fulfil basic requirements, flight time requirements, FAA Certification requirements and much more.
At JetBlue, you can become a pilot in three ways:
Now, let’s explore all the ways to become a pilot.
Applying for First Officer
If you are an experienced pilot and hold FAA certification, you can directly apply for the First Officer position at JetBlue whenever vacancies arrive. For that, you need to meet the following requirements.
JetBlue Airways Pilot Requirements
Here are the basic requirements to be met before applying for the FO post.
- High School Diploma or GED Level Education is required.
- Applicant must fulfil FAA First Class Medical Certificate requirements.
- A valid passport is required with legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Applicants must obtain legal authorization to travel in and out of the United States.
- Fluency in English Language (Reading, Writing and Speaking) is demanded.
FAA Certification Requirements
Besides basic requirements, you need to obtain FAA Certification.
- Applicants must obtain Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certification issued by FAA.
- Must obtain Current FAA Class 1 Medical Certificate.
- Must obtain Federal Communication Commission (FCC) Radio License.
Flight Time Requirements
In addition to basic and FAA certification requirements, you must have accumulated certain flight hours.
- Applicants must have logged 1,500 hours of total flight time in aircraft with a turbine engine.
- A minimum of 500 hours of total flight time in Fixed-wing aircraft is mandatory.
- Those applicants with recent flight experience will be highly preferred.
Preferred Flight Time Requirements
If you have acquired any of the following flight time requirements, you will be highly preferred for the JetBlue First Officer position.
- A minimum of 2,500 hours of total flight time.
- More than 1000 hours of turbine flight time experience as a Pilot in Command (PIC).
- More than 1000 hours of flight time in an advanced flight deck with EFIS (Electronic Flight Instrument System) or FMS (Flight Management System).
- Part 121 or Military Flying Experience.
JetBlue Airways Pilot Hiring Processes
If you meet all the requirements mentioned above, you can apply for the First Officer position when there are vacancies available.
- First of all, you need to visit the JetBlue official website and hop into the career section. You will see vacancies for various positions on the career website.
- You can apply for a First Officer vacancy if there is a vacancy available.
- After you find a vacancy, you can apply online by submitting an application form along with documents, certificates, photographs and other details required by the online application.
- Your application will be reviewed and analyzed by the airlines’ recruitment team. You will be called for further assessments if you meet all the requirements.
- The assessments may include interviews, skills tests, cognitive tests, psychometric tests, document verification and much more.
- If you manage to pass all the assessments, you will be selected for the First Officer position at JetBlue Airways.
JetBlue Airways Gateway Select Cadet Program
JetBlue Gateway Select Cadet Program provides a systematic and accelerated path for aviation enthusiasts to become professional pilots at JetBlue. This program is offered in collaboration with CAE, Phoenix, United States.
It is a cost-effective and unique program that allows a student to become a professional pilot from scratch through an intensive training program.
The intensive training program includes:
- Full-Motion intensive simulator training
- Multi-Crew/Multi-Engine Operations
- Crew Resource Management
- Threat and Error Management
JetBlue Cadet Program Requirements
Before applying for the JetBlue Gateway Select Cadet Program, you need to meet the following requirements.
- The age of the applicant must be 23 years by the completion of 3.5 years training program.
- Applicants must hold a High School Diploma or GED level education.
- Must hold a valid Passport with legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Must obtain authorization to travel in and out of the United States.
- Fluency in the English Language including reading, writing and speaking is a must.
- Must be able to meet FAA First Class Medical Certificate requirements.
JetBlue Gateway Select Cadet Program Costs
As per the information published on the CAE website, the total cost of the JetBlue Gateway Select Cadet Program is $110,000. You don’t have to pay the full amount at once as there is an instalments option available over the course of almost 12 months.
The airline in coordination with CAE offers financial assistance to support aspirant aviators.
Career Progression via Gateway Select Cadet Program
If you get selected for the Cadet Program, you will go through the following phases to become a JetBlue pilot from scratch.
- First of all, you will be introduced to a foundation course covering JetBlue information and flying knowledge.
- After the foundation course, you will go through Primary Training to obtain a Private Pilot License (PPL) Certificate via Commercial Muti-Engine training.
- You will receive Jet training at JetBlue University as a part of an airline preparation course after obtaining PPL Certificate.
- Then, you will go through Instructor training to become a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI)/Certified Flight Instructor – Instrument (CFII).
- After becoming CFI/CFII, you will get an opportunity to work with CAE as a Flight Instructor. As a CFI, you will start accumulating flight hours.
- Once you cross a minimum of 1,500 flight hours as a CFI, you will be eligible for a JetBlue First Officer position.
- At last, you will go through orientation and a six-week instruction program to finally become a first officer for JetBlue airways.
JetBlue Gateway Direct and Gateway Flex
JetBlue Gateway Direct and Gateway Flex are the programs offered to the JetBlue crewmembers only.
The Gateway Direct allows current JetBlue crewmembers to undertake a college education at the airline’s approved institution. After that, they will take training with a partner school to become a pilot for JetBlue.
Likewise, the Gateway Flex allows current crew members to access the flight training location of their choice and become a JetBlue pilots with a systematic approach.
JetBlue Gateway Family
JetBlue Gateway Family is another interesting onboarding program that allows families of crew members to become JetBlue First Officer via a defined education, training and systematic career path.
Want to become a pilot for other major airlines in the United States? How to become a United Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become an American Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become a Southwest Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become an Alaska Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become a Delta Air Lines Pilot in 2022? How to become a Hawaiian Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become an Allegiant Air Pilot in 2022? How to become an Avelo Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become a Breeze Airways Pilot in 2022? How to beceome a Frontier Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become a Spirit Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become a Sun Country Airlines Pilot in 2022?
JetBlue Airways Pilot Salary
Pilots at JetBlue Airways are expected to earn an average of $172,876 per year. This pay scale can range from $41,235 per year for a new First Officer to $463,859 per year for a Senior Captain.
The hourly salary rate of the First Officer and Captain can be seen in the table below.
|FIRST OFFICER SALARY||CAPTAIN SALARY|
|STARTING||$89 per hour||$234 per hour|
|AVERAGE||$159 per hour||$249 per hour|
|MAXIMUM||$189 per hour||$269 per hour|
JetBlue Airways Pilot Benefits
Besides basic salary, JetBlue pilots enjoy various benefits and perks.
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Life Insurance
- Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
JetBlue Airways Pilot Uniform
JetBlue Airways Pilot Bases
Pilots at JetBlue Airways are required to work from the following bases.
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- Fort Lauderdale – Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
- Orlando International Airport (MCO)
The information we provided is enough for you to know ‘How to become a JetBlue pilot in 2022?’
If you are planning to apply, read all the requirements mentioned in the section above and apply for the position whenever JetBlue announces vacancies.
In case of any doubts or queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much money does a JetBlue pilot make?
JetBlue Airways pilots earn an average of $172,876 per year. This pay scale can range from $41,235 per year for a new First Officer to $463,859 per year for a Senior Captain.
How long does it take to become a JetBlue pilot?
Through JetBlue Gateway Select Cadet Program, you can become a First Officer after 3.5 to 4 years of intensive training.
Does JetBlue have a pilot training program?
Yes, JetBlue Airways offers JetBlue Gateway Select Pilot Cadet Program, Gateway Flex, Gateway Direct and Gateway Family Pilot programs.
Do you need a degree to be a pilot for JetBlue?
You must hold a High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) to apply for JetBlue pilot programs.