The aviation industry is one of the interesting areas to work in as it offers an opportunity to explore lots of things.
You can fly, travel to various destinations across the globe and enjoy the vibes of aviation by pursuing a career in this industry.
There are lots of areas where you can join as an aviation professional. Some preferred posts are pilot, aircraft engineer, flight attendant, flight operation officer, ground handling staff, Air Traffic Controller (ATC), and much more.
Among various jobs in the aviation industry, a flight attendant is one of the best jobs as it allows you to travel and earn at the same time.
So, in this article, we will be discussing how to become a Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant including requirements, training, salary, and other useful information.
Before getting to our topic, let’s explore some basic information about Hawaiian Airlines.
Table of Contents
About Hawaiian Airlines
Hawaiian Airlines is one of the major airline companies in the United States with its headquarter in Honolulu, Hawaii. The airline is also listed as the tenth-largest commercial airline in the U.S.
The airline flies to various domestic and international destinations from its two operating bases. The destination covered includes the United Nations mainland, Australia, Asia, New Zealand, Hawaii, French Polynesia, and American Samoa.
Hawaiian Airlines Hubs
Among these hubs, Daniel K. Inouye International Airport is the primary hub and Kahului is the secondary one.
Talking about the fleet details, Hawaiian Airlines operates its flights with 18 Airbus A321neo, 24 Airbus A330-200 and 19 Boeing 717-200. In addition, the airline has ordered 10 latest Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner jets with deliveries expected between September 2022 and 2026.
How can you become a Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant?
Hawaiian Airlines announces vacancies for flight attendants on its official website under the careers section. You must keep checking the official site for vacancies and their requirements.
You are required to possess all the requirements set by the airlines to be eligible for applying for the flight attendant post. The major requirements include educational qualification, age, physical appearance including height, personality and much more.
Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant Requirements
As per the Hawaiian Airlines policy, the following requirements are mandatory to apply for the flight attendant post.
- The age required is a minimum of 21 years at the time of application
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent college degree is required for educational qualification
- Applicants must be able to reach a vertical height of 82 inches
- No visible body art including tattoos are allowed
- Body piercings are also not accepted
- Extreme hair colour and styling is not allowed
- Applicants must be able to present a professional image
- Applicants must be able to relocate within the state of Hawaii or the continental United States
- Applicants must show strong enthusiasm and motivation to work for the Hawaiian Airlines
- Must be able to work as per the airlines’ requirement
These are the basic requirements for the flight attendant jobs and for more job-specific requirements you need to visit the careers section of the airline’s official website.
Hawaiian Airlines requires its flight attendants to have good knowledge of customers’ native language.
The airline particularly seeks candidates who speak multiple languages including English, Korean, French, Japanese and Samoan.
The flight attendant applicants with multi-lingual talent must be able to present their speaking and reading capability at a business level. Besides, they also must be able to interpret announcements made in the English language.
Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant Hiring Process
- First of all, you as a Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant Applicant are required to apply if vacancies are live on the airlines’ official website.
- Your online application will be analyzed and reviewed by the airline official.
- If you meet all the requirements and submit the application correctly, the recruiter will contact you via phone or other online media for a short phone screening.
- As you pass the phone interview, you will be called at the Hawaiian Airlines headquarters in Honolulu for two intensive interview exams. You need to appear in the panel interview and one-on-one interview.
- If you manage to pass the interview and physical test including the reach test, you will be selected for the flight attendant position.
- After being selected, you will be eligible for 6-weeks intensive initial flight attendant training course at the airlines’ headquarter in Honolulu.
Hawaiian Airlines Initial Flight Attendant Training
The successful completion of all the selection steps will open the door for 6-weeks of initial flight attendant training.
The respective department of the airline will conduct 5 weeks of in-flight customer service training in the first phase. After completion of this training, you will go through emergency and safety training certified by the Federal Aviation Administration, the aviation regulatory body of the United States.
As a flight attendant trainee, you need to pass all the tests and assessments to begin your journey with Hawaiian Airlines.
Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant Uniform
Hawaiian Airlines launched new uniforms for its employees in 2016 with new designs from Affinity Apparel. Flight Attendants, Aircraft engineers, ground staff, customer service agents and other staff at the company were provided with the new uniforms.
Hawaiian Airlines Tattoo Policy
Hawaiian Airlines has a strict tattoo policy as you as a flight attendant candidate aren’t allowed to possess visible tattoos.
Candidates with visible body art including tattoos, gauge piercings, extreme hair colour, styling, upper ear piercing are not qualified for the flight attendant post.
Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant Contract
The Flight Attendant Contract is based on the representation of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA).
On 3rd April 2020, a new contract for Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendants was ratified mentioning the five-year agreement.
This new contract was brought to establish pay guarantees, pay increases and healthcare costs for the Hawaiian Flight Attendants.
Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant Application
As per the Hawaiian Airlines requirement, you are required to fill the online application form and submit it with supporting documents including an educational certificate, passport and other documentation.
Hawaiian Flight Attendant Interview Questions
The candidates applying for the Hawaiian Flight Attendant post are required to appear in panel interviews, group interviews, and one-on-one interviews where various questions are asked.
Some common questions to be asked during the interviews are listed below.
- Tell me about yourself?
- Why do you want to work for Hawaiian Airlines?
- Why should our company hire you?
- What is your strategy for handling an angry and upset customer?
- What are your qualifications for this position?
- What steps do you take to handle stress?
- What is your reason behind choosing a flight attendant as a career?
- Can you tell me about your stressful moment at work and how did you abide it?
Want to apply for flight attendant posts in other airlines in the United States? Do check out the following links.
How to become a Sun Country Airlines Flight Attendant? How to become a SkyWest Airlines Flight Attendant? How to become a Silver Airways Flight Attendant?
Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant Salary
Flight Attendants at Hawaiian Airlines can earn from $15 to $53 per hour depending upon the experience and seniority level. The average salary is somewhere around $28 per hour.
As per indeed (a popular job search site), Hawaiian Flight Attendants make approximately $50,000 per year which is 52 per cent more than the United States national average.
Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant Benefits
Besides normal salary, Hawaiian Flight Attendants get ample benefits and travel privileges mentioned below.
- You receive a medical plan at exceptional rates
- You will benefit from dental coverage plans
- The airline offers a 410(k) retirement plan with company match and contributions
- You will also receive flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care
- Travel privileges are another delightful benefit
- You will also benefit from life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- You can access the employee assistance program
- The airline also offers discount schemes on air travel, hotel stays, car rentals, cruises and various other corporate deals
As per the airline, the benefits mentioned in the list above are subject to change without any notice. This is due to the changing flight attendant agreement contracts that happen with bargaining.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant make?
Flight Attendants at Hawaiian Airlines can make from $15 to $53 per hour depending upon the experience and seniority status. The average wage is somewhere around $28 per hour.
Is it hard to get a job with Hawaiian Airlines?
You need to go through various tests including physical examination, group interviews, phone interviews, and one-on-one interviews to get selected for Hawaiian Flight Attendant. If you are enthusiastic and have a good personality with sound knowledge, it won’t be that difficult to pass these tests.
How long is Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant Training?
Hawaiian Airlines offers 6 weeks of initial flight attendant training to the selected candidates. The first phase of training focuses on 5-week in-flight service training whereas the remaining 1-week period is for FAA emergency and safety certification.
Does Hawaiian Airlines pay for training?
The initial flight attendant training provided by Hawaiian Airlines is unpaid.