Do you love aviation and want to pursue a career in this field? If yes, then there are lots of areas where you can join as an aviation professional and flight attendant is one of them.
You can apply for a flight attendant on various airlines across the globe however, we will be dealing with how to become a Southwest Airline Flight Attendant in this helpful article.
Before knowing the requirements, processes, salary, and other information on becoming a Southwest Airline Flight attendant, let us explore some basic information about the airlines.
Table of Contents
- About Southwest Airlines
- How to become a Southwest Airline Flight Attendant?
- How to apply for Southwest Airline Flight Attendant?
- Processes for Southwest Airline Flight Attendant job
- Southwest Airline Initial Flight Attendant Training
- Southwest Airline Flight Attendant Work Schedule
- Southwest Airline Flight Attendant Salary
- Some important general information on Southwest Airline Flight Attendant
About Southwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines is one of the major airline companies of the United States which is also known as the world’s largest low-cost carrier. The airline has its headquarter in Dallas, Texas and operates flights to over 121 destinations from 11 different hub airports in the United States.
The airline was founded on 15th March 1967 as Air Southwest Co. by Herb Kelleher and Rollin King. The name ‘Southwest Airlines’ was implemented in 1971.
Southwest Airlines operates more than 700 Boeing 737 aircraft and is known as the largest operator of this jet worldwide. The airline operated Boeing 727-200 aircraft between 1979 and 1985 with lease agreement otherwise it operates only the Boeing 737. The airline has already announced an order for 100 Boeing 737 MAX 7 jets and increased the order to 234 jets in June 2021.
As a low-cost carrier, the airline features economy class seats only. Having said that, the airline doesn’t compromise in offering amenities to its valuable passengers.
We have explored some information about the airline. Now, let’s move forward to know how to become a Southwest Airline Flight attendant.
How to become a Southwest Airline Flight Attendant?
Southwest Airlines currently employs over 15,000 flight attendants across 11 domiciles in the United States. The airline treats flight attendants as the heart of Southwest Hospitality.
The airline currently operates scheduled commercial passenger flights to 101 destinations across the United States and 10 additional countries. With that, over 4,000-weekday departures are triggered.
There is a great opportunity in pursuing your career as a Southwest Airline Flight Attendant. You must be worrying about the requirements, process, salaries and other essentials to become a flight attendant. But don’t worry, we got you covered with all the information in this article so, don’t hesitate to stay till the end.
First of all, let’s find out the minimum qualifications for the Southwest Airline Flight Attendant job.
Minimum Qualifications Include
- Candidate must have High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent education
- College Coursework or degree would be a plus point
- At the time of application, the candidate must be at least 20 years of age
- Candidate must be authorized to work in the United States
- A valid and unexpired passport is mandatory
- Candidate must maintain a well-groomed appearance as per the airline standards
- Candidate must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- BMI must be normal that means weight must be of such proportion to height
- Candidate must be able to walk and fit comfortably down the aircraft aisle, fit quickly through the overwing window exit, and also fit into a jumpseat harness without modification including closure without a seatbelt extension.
- Candidate must be able to lift items up to 50 pounds from the floor to shoulder level
- Candidate must be able to assist Customers with carry-on items that include lifting carry-on items from floor to above shoulder level with assistance.
- Visible body and facial piercings are strictly prohibited
- Visible tattoos are also prohibited. Candidates need to cover their tattoos by pants, long sleeve shirts, hair, makeup, or scarf.
How to apply for Southwest Airline Flight Attendant?
You can visit careers.southwestair.com and apply for the Flight Attendant job. This is an open hiring window where you are required to apply for the open position to become eligible for an interview.
As per the information from Southwest Airlines, there is only a way to apply for the Southwest Airline Flight Attendant job and it is via the official website. Also, there is no fee for the application and training. So, don’t get confused and apply through other unnecessary sources.
Processes for Southwest Airline Flight Attendant job
Below are the steps you need to go through to be selected for the Southwest Airline Flight Attendant job.
- First of all, you need to see the vacancy on the official website and submit the application form with your resume. The airline HR department will email you within the first week to confirm your application submission.
- After successful submission of the application form with the resume, the airline will conduct an online assessment in which each candidate will answer various questions regarding qualifications.
- Candidates passing the online assessment for qualifications will be eligible for a phone screen.
- If you pass the phone screen then, you will get an opportunity for a virtual panel interview that is conducted by a Recruiter and a current Southwest Flight Attendant.
- After succeeding in the virtual panel interview, candidates might be required to attend personal interviews at the airline’s headquarter in Dallas, Texas.
- Physical Performance Standards Proficiency Assessment is conducted as a background process during the interview session.
- Applicants passing all the above tests will go through a federal background check and drug test as part of the pre-employment process.
- You will attend the Southwest Airline initial Flight Attendant Training for four weeks in Dallas, Texas after passing all the tests mentioned above.
Southwest Airline Initial Flight Attendant Training
Southwest Airlines provides four weeks of initial flight attendant training to the selected applicants. The training is conducted in the company’s headquarter in Dallas, Texas.
The airline doesn’t pay you during the training phase however, you will receive US$1,200 as a bonus after working five days. Besides, you will also get a $425 meal stipend in the form of a pre-paid Visa card.
Following are the requirements for passing Initial Flight Attendant Training
- You as a flight attendant trainee must obtain a minimum of 90 per cent marks on each required exam.
- You need to pass every proficiency or skill test that includes knowledge in a specific area. Frequent tests are conducted throughout the initial flight training.
- If you fail to pass the tests during initial flight attendant training, you are required to wait 12 months to re-apply from the date of your last person in the interview.
Southwest Airline Flight Attendant Work Schedule
Newly hired Flight Attendants will be assigned a fixed-line schedule for the first month. The reserve status (also known as ‘on call’) and trips will be available to new flight attendants during the following five months of probation from the first month.
Southwest Airline Flight Attendant Salary
As a new Southwest Airline Flight Attendant, the airline will pay you $25.14 per trip if you pass the initial flight attendant training. A ‘trip’ is defined as a travel distance of 243 nautical miles or approximately 55 minutes of flight time.
The airline says its flight attendants are provided with an average of 72 trips per month. So, on average you will be making US$1,800 monthly as a fresh flight attendant.
As per the company policy, reserve flight attendants get an average of 72 trips per month whereas scheduled flight attendants get an average of 80 trips every month. Reserve flight attendants are those being on call for trips.
Southwest Airlines also pays a per diem allowance to the flight attendants. This allowance is paid on an hourly basis for each hour the Flight Attendant is away from their assigned base. The time is calculated starting at the time of required check-in and ending 30 minutes after the arrival of the last trip.
The per diem allowance is paid as compensation for meals and the current allowance as per the company’s policy is $2.30 per hour.
Also, you will get a per diem rate of $2.85 per hour if you work on a Near International Flight t (near international is defined as destinations or flying located within the region of North America but outside of the contiguous 48 United States).
Some more Flight Attendant articles
Some important general information on Southwest Airline Flight Attendant
- If not being selected, you need to wait 12 months from the date of your last interview to re-apply for the Southwest Airline Flight Attendant.
- Selected Applicants are mandatorily required to submit a valid and unexpired passport book from the country of origin on the first day of initial flight attendant training otherwise, they will be released from training class.
- Applicants can contact the airline via email or phone to seek any assistance during the recruiting process.
- Southwest Airlines currently has its flight attendant bases in Atlanta, Las Vegas, Baltimore, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Denver, Orlando, Phoenix, Oakland, and Los Angeles. Flight attendants are assigned to any of these bases depending upon the airline’s operational needs.
How much do flight attendants make on Southwest?
Southwest Airlines pays $25.14 per trip to its flight attendants. You will cover almost 80 trips a month as a new flight attendant so, you will make approximately $2,000 monthly as a Southwest Airline Flight Attendant.
What does it take to be a Southwest Flight Attendant?
To become a Southwest Airline Flight Attendant, you need to be at least 20 years, must have High School Diploma, be physically fit, have the authorization to work in the United States.
Is Southwest flight attendant training paid?
The Southwest Flight Attendant training is not paid however, you will receive a bonus of $1,200 after working for five days.
Is it hard to get hired at Southwest Airlines?
If you are passionate and fulfil all the requirements to become a Southwest Airline Flight Attendant, you are just a step away from your dream job. You need to go through various tests as mentioned in the article above. Just keep believing yourself and prepare well to achieve success.