If you’re flying with your pet on Spirit Airlines, there are some important points to know about the airline’s pet policy.
Find out which pets can travel, what documentation is required, and restrictions on where and when they can fly—so you can enjoy a stress-free and safe journey with your furry friend.
Table of Contents
Does Spirit Airlines allow pets? If yes, what are the policies?
Spirit Airlines is among many other airlines in the United States that allow pets to travel on all domestic flights. As a Spirit passenger, you can fly with your pets which may include dogs, cats, small household birds, or small domestic rabbits.
Spirit Airlines doesn’t allow pets in the cargo compartment, or any cargo flights.
Pets allowed on the Spirit Aircraft
- Domestic Dogs
- Domestic Cats
- Small Household Birds (except to/from Puerto Rico, and the U.S.V.I)
- Small Domestic Rabbits (except to/from Puerto Rico, and the U.S.V.I)
Pets Prohibited on the Spirit Flights
- Exotic pets such as Spiders, Rodents, etc.
- Farm Poultry
- Larger Birds, and Rabbits
- Game Bird
- Birds of Prey
- Flightless Birds
If you are wondering whether Spirit allows you to travel with pets on a cabin, it does however, the pet must stay in the pet carrier for the entire duration of the flight. You can’t carry your pet, or buy a separate seat while flying on Spirit flights.
Spirit Airlines Pet Carrier Requirements
As per Spirit Pet policy, the pet and its carrier should be stowed underneath the customer’s seat in front at all times. A pet carrier or a container can accommodate up to 2 pets however, only one pet career per passenger is permitted.
The policy also states the pet container must be comfortable enough for animals to stand upright and move about.
Talking about the weight requirement, the combined weight of the pet, and the carrier/container must not exceed 40 lbs (18.14 kgs). Likewise, the dimension required for the pet carrier is 18” x 14” x 9” (45.72cm x 35.56cm x 22.86cm) – L x W x H.
The pet carrier must be soft in quality, and shouldn’t allow the pet’s head to remain outside. Besides, it must meet all government requirements for safe transportation.
Check-in, and Security Screening
Spirit Airlines requires passengers traveling with pets to check in at the ticket counter as curbside, or self-service check-in is not permitted. The airline also requests extra time beyond normal check-in guidelines.
After check-in, passengers must present their pets to the security checkpoint screeners for the screening process.
International Pet Travel Policy
As stated by the Spirit Pet Policy, passengers are not allowed to travel with their pets on any international flights operated by Spirit airlines. However, Spirit allows service animals depending on the international destination.
Service animals are specially trained dogs that can provide assistance and support to individuals with a disability. These animals are trained to perform specific tasks related to their handler’s needs, such as guiding an individual who is visually impaired, alerting an individual to an impending seizure, or calming someone in the midst of anxiety or depression. While other species of animals can be trained for similar purposes, only dogs are considered service animals under the law.
There are some specific documentation procedures required for service animals to travel internationally. Customers can contact Spirit Guest Service as the representative will assist them to analyze pet travel regulations at the destination.
Pet’s Health Requirements
Those passengers traveling with pets in the aircraft’s cabin do not require a health certificate for their pets. But a valid certificate is required for passengers traveling to the U.S. Virgin Islands.
As per the vaccination is concerned, Spirit requires a rabies vaccination certificate for pets traveling with passengers to Puerto Rico.
Pets must be at least 8 weeks old, and fully weaned. The behavior of the pet must be harmless, inoffensive, and odorless, and shouldn’t require attention during the flight. Plus, passengers need to ensure their pets are free of illness, violence, and physical distress.
Spirit Airlines has the right to reject those pets with offensive or disruptive behavior.
Emotional Support Animals (ESA) Policy
Spirit Airlines allows Emotional Support Animals to travel with their owners. As per the updated Departure of Transportation requirements, all ESANs are subject to the pet travel policy which means the pets must feet, and follow all policies discussed above.
What is an Emotional Support Animal (ESA)? An ESA is a type of animal used to provide therapeutic assistance for those living with mental health or psychiatric disabilities. These animals—which can include any domesticated animal, such as cats, dogs, birds, ferrets, etc.—provide comfort and companionship to their owners.
Legal protections exist that allow ESAs in certain circumstances where they may otherwise be restricted. For example, they are not considered pets and do not have an age requirement. Nonetheless, ESAs must remain manageable in public places and not create disturbances.
When traveling on Spirit flights with Emotional Support Animals, passengers need to submit essential documentation that includes a passenger acknowledgment form, mental health professional form, and veterinary health form.
Spirit Airlines Pet Travel Cost
Spirit Airlines charges certain applicable fees to travel with pets. There is a charge of $125 per pet container on a one-way Spirit flight. If it is a round-trip, you need to pay $250.
Passengers can carry two pets of the same species on a single pet carrier for the same price. However, they need to ensure the pets can stand, move, and adjust comfortably in the carrier placed under the seat in front.
How do I add a pet to my Spirit flight?
At present, Spirit Airlines doesn’t offer an online booking service for pets. You cannot add your pet when booking flights via the official website, app, or from agents.
So, how to add a pet to a Spirit flight?
Spirit customers can add a pet to their reservation by contacting Reservations Toll-Free at 1-855-SAVE-555 (1-855-728-3555). Furthermore, you can send a message at 48763 or use 855-728-3555 on WhatsApp 24 hours a day/7 days a week to make a pet reservation.
Spirit currently allows a total of 6 pet containers on all domestic flights including Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas, USVI. So, passengers are advised to make pet travel arrangements in advance.
Passengers traveling on Spirit flights with their pets can sit anywhere except the first row and emergency exit rows.
The pet carrier must be placed under the seat in front of the passenger traveling with the animal. The pet must remain in the container during the entire flight.
Conclusion on ‘Does Spirit Airlines allow pets?’
We explored all Spirit Airlines pet policies including allowed pet types, prohibited animals, health requirements, international pet travel policy, service animal policy, Emotional Service Animal policy, pet travel cost, and more.
Let’s conclude our discussion with key guidelines and tips.
Spirit Airlines Pet Travel Guidelines
- Only small domesticated dogs, cats, small household birds, and small domestic rabbits are allowed on the Spirit aircraft.
- Spirit does not allow pets to travel in cargo compartments. The pets must be carried in the pet container/carrier which must be stowed underneath the front seat during the entire flight.
- A maximum of 2 pets per container is permitted only if the pets are of the same species. One Passenger is allowed to carry only one pet carrier.
- The pet carrier must not exceed an overall dimension of 18” x 14” x 9”, and a total weight of 40 lbs (18.14 kgs). It must be qualitative enough for the pets to be able to stand upright and move about comfortably.
- Spirit has the right to reject pets with unruly, harmful, inoffensive, and violent behavior.
- Health Certificate is not required for pets traveling with passengers in Spirit flights except for passengers traveling to the U.S. Virgin Islands. Rabies Vaccination Certificate is mandatory for pets traveling with passengers to Puerto Rico.
- Passengers can seat anywhere except the first row, and emergency exit rows when traveling with their pets.
Spirit Airlines Pet Travel Tips
- All pets must be accompanied by the appropriate size pet carrier which needs to be labeled and has adequate ventilation holes. Additionally, customers must provide sufficient food and water for the pet that will last throughout their journey.
- Customers with trained service animals and emotional support animals, those required for medical travel, or authorized military pets are allowed to travel on Spirit Airlines on a limited basis.
- They must be accompanied by a customer with a valid form of identification for the animal, such as an ID card or letter from a doctor. The customer is still subject to any applicable laws, regulations, or restrictions in the city they’re traveling to.
- The pet and its kennel should be stowed underneath the customer’s seat in front. If your pet doesn’t fit in the pet carrier, there is no other option as Spirit doesn’t allow transporting pets in the cargo compartments.
- After being checked in, all pets are subject to a safety inspection. Be sure to have a leash available for them during this process.
- Make sure your pet is in good physical condition and healthy before traveling. To make them as comfortable as possible, it’s a good idea to visit the vet for a check-up, get their grooming done, and make sure all vaccinations are up-to-date.
- Finally, comfort items like toys or blankets may help your pet feel more relaxed during the trip.
FAQs on Spirit Airlines Pet Policy
Can emotional support animals fly on Spirit?
Spirit Airlines permits passengers to travel with Emotional Support Animals (ESA). However, such animals are required to travel as pets as per updated requirements released by the Department of Transportation. With that, all emotional support animals must meet and follow the Spirit Pet Policies.
How much does Spirit Airlines charge for pets?
The latest fee for traveling with pets on a Spirit flight is $125 per pet carrier each way. If you are on a round trip, the total cost will be $250 per container.
How do I add a pet to my Spirit flight?
If you are wondering if pets can be added to a Spirit flight online. Unfortunately, Spirit doesn’t offer online reservations for pets at the moment. So, the option is to contact Spirit’s Reservations Center Toll-Free at 1-855-SAVE-555 (1-855-728-3555) or text at 48763 or use 855-728-3555 on WhatsApp 24 hours a day/7 days a week.