Delaware is a small but vibrant U.S. state featuring a rich history, beautiful natural landscapes, and a thriving economy. The state is divided into three counties including New Castle County, Kent County, and Sussex County.
The state attracts a good number of tourists every year. Whether you’re traveling to the First State for business or vacation, it’s important to know your travel options.
In this article, we will explore all the airports in Delaware with travel tips, airlines, destinations, facilities, services, and more.
Let’s dive in!
Table of Contents
What are the major airports in Delaware?
There are various commercial, private, and general aviation airports in Delaware however, Wilmington Airport is the only primary commercial airport in the state.
Other general aviation airports in Delaware include Summit Airport, Delaware Airpark, and Delaware Coastal Airport. Besides, there are some nearby major commercial airports offering regular commercial flights.
Now, let’s explore the airports in detail.
Wilmington Airport (ILG)
Wilmington Airport (ICAO: KILG, IATA: ILG, FAA LID: ILG) is the only primary commercial airport in the U.S. state of Delaware. The airport is owned by New Castle County, and operated by the Delaware River, and Bay Authority.
ILG Airport (formerly known as New Castle Airport/New Castle County Airport) is situated at an elevation of 80 ft (24 m) AMSL, and serves as a focus airport for Avelo Airlines.
ILG Airport Infrastructure
Wilmington Airport covers a total area of 1,250 acres (506 ha), and features 3 asphalt runways: RWY 9/27, RWY 1/19, and RWY 14/32.
|RWY 9/27||7,275 by 150 ft||Asphalt|
|RWY 1/19||7,012 by 150 ft||Asphalt|
|RWY 14/32||4,602 by 150 ft||Asphalt|
Here are some of the amenities offered by Wilmington Airport Delaware:
- Parking: Wilmington Airport Delaware offers both short-term and long-term parking options. There are 2 parking lots at the airport accommodating a total of 650 parking spots. Lot A (Front), and Lot B (Side) are located near the airport terminal building. For the 1st hour, you can park your vehicles for free. And the daily parking rate is $8.
- Ground Transportation: The airport offers a variety of ground transportation options, including taxis, limousines, rental cars, and public transportation. The rental car companies are located inside the terminal building, making it easy to rent a car and hit the road.
- Dining: While Wilmington Airport Delaware doesn’t have as many dining options as some larger airports, there is still a café located inside the terminal building that serves a variety of food and beverages.
- Free Wi-Fi: Like many airports, Wilmington Airport Delaware offers free Wi-Fi to passengers. This allows you to stay connected to the internet while you wait for your flight.
- Business Services: For those who need to get work done while they’re at the airport, Wilmington Airport Delaware offers a business center with a fax machine, copier, and other office supplies.
- Pet Relief Area: Wilmington Airport Delaware understands that traveling with pets can be stressful, which is why they offer a designated pet relief area outside the terminal building.
- Assistance for Passengers with Disabilities: The airport offers a range of services and assistance for passengers with disabilities, including wheelchair assistance, accessible parking, and accessible restrooms.
Airlines Operating at Wilmington Airport Delaware
Avelo Airlines is the only company operating non-stop flights to and from Wilmington Airport (ILG). Previously, other airlines used to serve the airport however, all flight operations were halted following the COVID-19 pandemic.
At the time of writing this article, Avelo Airlines connects ILG Airport with Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Southwest Florida (RSW), Orlando (MCO), Tampa (TPA), and Palm Beach (PBI).
|AVELO DESTINATIONS FROM ILG||FLIGHT FREQUENCY|
|Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport (FLL)||Nonstop (Weekly on Thursdays, and Sundays)|
|Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW)||Nonstop (Weekly on Mondays, and Fridays)|
|Orlando International Airport (MCO)||Nonstop (Weekly on Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays|
|Tampa International Airport (TPA)||Nonstop (Weekly on Thursdays, and Sundays)|
|Palm Beach International Airport (PBI)||Nonstop (Weekly on Wednesdays, and Saturdays)|
ILG Airport Travel Tips
For those journeying to or from Wilmington Airport Delaware, here are some crucial guidelines to ensure your travels are seamless and untroubled:
- Arrive Ahead of Time: Much like any other airport, it is imperative to arrive with sufficient time to complete the check-in process, undergo security measures, and reach your designated gate. Although Wilmington Airport Delaware is a smaller establishment compared to others, it is still highly recommended to allocate at least 90 minutes before your scheduled departure time.
- Confirm Flight Status: Prior to departing for the airport, verifying your flight status is highly recommended. This helps avoid any unforeseen delays or cancellations that may arise.
- Pack Efficiently: Prior to packing for your trip, it is recommended to check the TSA website for a list of prohibited items. This helps evade any difficulties at the security checkpoint.
- Accessible ID and Boarding Pass: It is essential to have your identification and boarding pass readily accessible, as they are imperative to access the security checkpoint and board your flight.
- Knowledge of Your Gate: After completing check-in and clearing security, it is crucial to review the flight monitors to ensure you have the correct gate number. This helps prevent confusion or missed flights.
- Utilize Airport Facilities: Wilmington Airport Delaware offers numerous amenities, such as free Wi-Fi, a café, and a business center. Taking advantage of these amenities helps make the time spent at the airport more enjoyable and relaxed.
- Preparation for Security: It is important to remove all metal items, shoes, and jackets before passing through the security checkpoint. In addition, liquids must be in containers of 3.4 ounces or less and kept in a clear plastic bag.
- Secure Your Belongings: Keeping your possessions with you at all times is crucial. Leaving them unattended can lead to theft or loss. If traveling with valuables, it is recommended to keep them in your carry-on luggage.
Other airports in Delaware
Besides the Wilmington Airport, there are some other smaller general aviation airports in Delaware including Summit Airport, Delaware Coastal Airport, and Delaware Airpark.
Summit Airport (EVY)
Summit Airport (ICAO: KEVY, FAA LID: EVY) is a general aviation facility located in New Castle County, Delaware. The airport is privately owned, and operated by Summit Aviation, Inc.
Summit Airport occupies a total area of 550-acres, and features a North/South Runway 17/35 (4,500 ft by 66 ft).
The airport offers general aviation operations featuring full MRO/FBO services, T-Hangar rentals, Overnight tie downs, and 3 published IFR approaches.
Delaware Coastal Airport (GED)
Delaware Coastal Airport (ICAO: KGED, IATA: GED, FAA LID: GED) is also among the general aviation airports in Delaware located in Sussex County. The airport is owned, and operated by Sussex County Council.
GED Airport covers a total area of 615 acres (249 ha), and features two asphalt runways: RWY 4/22 (5,500 by 150 ft), and RWY 10/28 (3,109 by 75 ft).
This airport offers general aviation services, and is capable of handling jets up to the Boeing 737.
Delaware Airpark (33N)
Delaware Airpark is a local general aviation facility located in Cheswold (Kent County) in Delaware. This airpark is owned by the Delaware Department of Transportation, and operated by the Delaware River, and Bay Authority.
The general aviation airfield occupies a total area of 319 acres (129 ha), and features a single asphalt runway RWY 9/27 (4,201 by 75 feet).
What are the nearest airports to Delaware?
Commercial flights at the Wilmington Airport in Delaware began in 2023 when Avelo Airlines started connecting the region to various domestic destinations.
Due to limited operations, Delaware visitors frequently used nearby airports including Philadelphia International Airport (PHL), Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI), Atlantic City International Airport (ACY), Harrisburg International Airport (MDT), and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA).
|COMMERCIAL AIRPORTS NEAR DELAWARE CITY||DISTANCE FROM DELAWARE CITY||ESTIMATED DRIVING TIME|
|Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)||37 miles||41 minutes|
|Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)||82.8 miles||1 hour 31 minutes|
|Atlantic City International Airport (ACY)||86.8 miles||1 hour 30 minutes|
|Harrisburg International Airport (MDT)||89.3 miles||1 hour 58 minutes|
|Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)||114 miles||2 hours 24 minutes|
|Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)||120 miles||1 hour 53 minutes|
Conclusion on Airports in Delaware
As we come to the end of this travel guide, we explored all airports in Delaware including the primary commercial airport, and smaller general aviation facilities.
Wilmington Airport (ILG) is the only major airport in Delaware state which is served by Avelo Airlines connecting to various non-stop destinations. Other airports including Summit Airport (EVY), Delaware Coastal Airport (GED), and Delaware Airpark (33N) offer general aviation services.
If you are traveling to Delaware, ILG airport is the best choice for you however, the limited flights from this airport may not cover your destination.
Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Southwest Florida (RSW), Orlando (MCO), Tampa (TPA), and Palm Beach (PBI) are the routes connected by Avelo Airlines from ILG Airport. For more options, you can choose to land at nearby airports, and take a short drive to reach the city of Delaware.
Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) is the nearest airport to Delaware City which is just 37 miles. In less than an hour of driving time, you can reach the city.
FAQs on Airports in Delaware
What is the major airport in Delaware?
Wilmington Airport (ILG) is the only major commercial airport in Delaware that offers scheduled commercial flights to Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Southwest Florida (RSW), Orlando (MCO), Tampa (TPA), and Palm Beach (PBI) is served by Avelo Airlines.
What airlines fly out of Delaware?
As of 2023, Avelo Airlines is the only company flying out of Delaware, and connecting the Wilmington Airport (ILG) to major domestic destinations including Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Southwest Florida (RSW), Orlando (MCO), Tampa (TPA), and Palm Beach (PBI).
Where do you fly out of in Delaware?
Wilmington Airport (ILG) is Delaware’s Ultra-Convenient Airport that serves flights to some popular domestic routes including Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Southwest Florida (RSW), Orlando (MCO), Tampa (TPA), and Palm Beach (PBI).
What airlines fly into the state of Delaware?
At present, Avelo Airlines is the only airline flying into the state of Delaware operating non-stop flights to Wilmington Airport (ILG), Delaware.