Southwest Airlines is one of the major airline companies in the United States and it is also known as the world’s largest low-cost carrier. The airline is commonly referred to as Southwest and is headquartered in Dallas, Texas.
Talking about the fleet capacity, Southwest is the world’s largest operator of Boeing 737 jets. More than 700 Boeing 737 jetliners are used by the airline to serve over 120 domestic and international destinations.
Explore southwest terminal at lax
Southwest Airlines operates from hubs in Atlanta (ATL), Baltimore (BWI), Chicago-Midway (MDW), Dallas-Love (DAL), Denver (DEN), Houston-Hobby (HOU), Las Vegas (LAX), Los Angeles (LAX), Oakland (OAK), Orlando (MCO) and Phoenix-Sky Harbor (PHX).
Los Angeles Int’l Airport (LAX) is one of the major hubs for Southwest. Today, we will explore Southwest Terminal at LAX with a terminal map, arrivals/departures information, parking facility, gates information, amenities, and much more.
Table of Contents
Southwest Terminal at LAX Airport
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is one of the important airports serving Greater Los Angeles and its surrounding metropolitan area. It covers a total area of 3,500 acres (1,400 ha) and features 4 concrete runways with the designation Rwy 06L/24R, Rwy 06R/24L, Rwy 07L/25R and Rwy 07R/25L.
LAX is the primary hub for Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, and Polar Air Cargo. Besides, it is also the focus city for Allegiant Air, JetBlue Airways, and Southwest Airlines.
The airport is equipped with 9 passenger terminals (Terminals 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and B) with a total of 146 gates arranged in the shape of the letter ‘U’ or a horseshoe. Terminal B is known as the Tom Bradley International Terminal from where international flights are handled.
At present, Southwest Airlines operates from Terminal 1 at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Domestic Flights and international check-in services are offered at Terminal 1 whereas passengers will be bused to Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) or Terminal B for international departures and arrivals.
Ticketing, Service Animal/Pet Relief Area, Baggage Services, Car Rentals, ATM, Nursing Room, Rest Roon, Baby Changing Station, and Automated Retail are the top terminal facilities available at LAX Terminal 1.
Southwest Gates at Los Angeles International Airport
Terminal 1 – Gates 9,11A,11B,12A,12B,13,14,15,16,17A,17B,18A, and 18B
Amenities offered by Southwest at OAK
- Charging Stations
- Airport-Provided WiFi
- Priority Lane
- Express Lane
- Customer Service
- Baggage Handling
Southwest Ticket counters at LAX Airport are operational every day. The counter services begin 90 minutes before the first departing flight (Monday through Friday), and 120 minutes before the first departing flight (Saturday-Sunday).
Recommended Arrival Times for Southwest Flights at LAX
- Domestic Flights – 90 minutes (Tuesday-Thursday), and 120 minutes (Friday-Monday)
- International Flights – 120 minutes
Important Note: All bags must be checked 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
Travel Tip for international passengers: To ensure a smooth boarding process, it is necessary to have your passport verified by an agent or kiosk at the Southwest Airlines Ticket Counter at least 60 minutes before your scheduled departure time.
LAX Airport Ground Transportation Facility
- FlyAway Nonstop Bus Service – The FlyAway nonstop bus service provides transportation between LAX and Union Station and Van Nuys.
- LAX Transporation – Free shuttle transportation is provided for terminal-to-terminal connections.
- Taxi Cab Service – There are a variety of Taxi services that operate to and from LAX. Taxis drop passengers off at their terminals on the Upper/Departures Level.
- Ride Apps – Lyft, Opoli, and Uber are the authorized providers for ride app services at LAX.
- Car Rental Service – Rental Car offices are located off airport, away from airline terminals.
- Public Transportation – Several public transit providers serve LAX, including L.A. Metro, Culver City Bus Lines, Santa Monica Big Blue Bus, Torrance Transit, and Beach Cities Transit.
- Hotel Shuttles – Many major airport-area hotels provide courtesy transportation from LAX terminals.
- Scheduled Buses – Buses provide service from LAX to various parts of Los Angeles and some surrounding regions.
Southwest Terminal LAX Map
The nine terminals at Los Angeles (LAX) are designed in the shape of the letter ‘U’ or a horseshoe as you can see in the picture below. Terminal 1, Terminal 2, and Terminal 3 are located on the northern side whereas Terminals 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are located on the southern side. Terminal B lies near Terminal 3 and Terminal 4.
Southwest Airlines operates from Terminal 1 which is located opposite Parking 1 location. As you enter the LAX Terminal area, the first terminal to the right side is Terminal 1.
Southwest Airlines Arrivals at LAX
All Southwest Airlines arrival flights are operated from Terminal 1 at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Passenger check-in service is provided at Terminal 1. International flights are handled from Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) or Terminal B.
Here are the major facilities available at Terminal 1 Arrivals
- LA Access
- Shared Ride Vans Charter Buses
- LAX-it services including Uber, Taxi, Lyft, and Opoli
- Terminal Connector
- City Bus Center – LAX
- LAX Economy Parking including LAX Employee Lots
- Metro Connector
- Car Rental Services
- Service Animal Relief Station
- Shopping Area
- Interactive Visitors Centers
- Luggage Carts offered by Smart Carte
- Family Restroom
- TSA PreCheck
- Volunteer Information Professionals (VIP)
LAX Southwest Departures Terminal
Like arrivals, all Southwest Departure flights are handled from LAX Terminal 1. Southwest Passengers will be bused to Terminal B for international facilities.
The major facilities, and services at Terminal 1 Departures include:
- Food Court including Einstein Bros, Bagels, Chick-fil-A, Betcha Burger, Panda Express, and Ace Tacos
- Restaurants including Urth Caffee & Bar, Rock & Brews, California Pizza Kitchen, The Coffee Bean, and Tea Leaf, Wetzel’s Reilly’s Irish Pub
- Shopping Center featuring Vera Bradley, The New Stand, Treat Me Sweet, Sol Surf, I Love LA, Brookstone, MAC Cosmetics, and Kiehl’s.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Marvin’s Shoe Shine (Complimentary)
- Family Restroom
- Hotel & Private Parking
Southwest Terminal LAX Food
Southwest Airlines doesn’t offer a premium lounge or dining facility to its passengers however, you will find various high-quality restaurants in LAX Terminal 1 that offer delicious foods and beverages.
You can find the famous restaurants and their location in LAX Terminal 1 in the table below.
|RESTAURANTS||FOOD OPTIONS||LOCATION IN LAX TERMINAL 1|
|Rock & Brews Concert Bar & Grill||American comfort food|
Rock and Roll themed pub
|Near Gate 12A, Level 3|
|Treat Me Sweet||Popular candy brands like jelly beans and malt balls|
Selection of chocolates, gummies, jellies, and sugar-free options
Grab a pre-wrapped box for a perfect gift.
|Near Gate 11B, Level 3|
|Near Food Court, Level 3|
|Ace Cerveceria & Tacos||Mexican food|
Tacos, nachos, carne asada fries, chips & guacamole, & much more
|Einstein Bros. Bagels||Egg Sandwiches|
Beverages (Soft Drinks)
|Near Food Court, Level 3|
|Near Food Court, Level 3|
|Panda Express||Chicken Egg Roll|
Veggie Egg Roll
Cream Cheese Rangoon
Soft Drinks for Water, and Juice
Bigger Plate Meals
|Near Gate 12A, Level 3|
|Urth Caffe & Bar||Organic and Hormone-free coffee, tea, dairy, and fruit|
Drink, Salad, Sandwich, and more.
|Near Gate 11A, Level 3|
|California Pizza Kitchen||Tasty flatbread pizzas|
Full selection of beer, wine, and cocktails
|Near Gate 14, Level 3|
|The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf||American coffee house |
Wide selection of brews, teas, pastries, and baked goods
|Near Gate 14, Level 3|
|Reilly’s Irish Pub||Comfort Food|
Largest Whiskey Selection in LA
|Near Gate 15, Level 3|
Southwest Terminal LAX Parking Facility
There are seven parking locations located between the nine terminals at Los Angeles Int’l (LAX). Parking 1, Parking 2A, Parking 2B, Parking 3, Parking 4, Parking 5, Parking 6, and Parking 7 are the parking spaces available.
Parking locations 1 and 7 are near Terminal 1 so, Southwest Airlines passengers can use these spaces to park their vehicles.
LAX offers a reserved parking system with which you can book and pre-ay for parking spaces online. You can get a free shuttle service to the terminal and avoid delays by pre-booking parking at LAX.
Economy parking, central terminal area parking, electric vehicle parking, cell phone waiting lot, motorcycle and bike parking, disability placards, vendor delivery parking, special events parking, and LAX employee parking facilities are available at LAX.
Car Rental Services at LAX Airport
Car rental services can be found at different locations away from airline terminals at Los Angeles Airport. All rental companies are established at off-site locations.
Passengers arriving at LAX can find car rental companies under the purple “Rental Car Shuttles” sign on the Lower/Arrivals Level islands outside baggage claim.
If you are an AAA member, AARP member, active-duty military personnel, national guard, and federal government employee, you get exclusive car rental discounts, and benefits.
(Check out the following blogs to grab the discounts, and amenities.)
How to get car rental discounts with AAA?
A Comprehensive Guide to Car Rental Discounts with AARP.
Discover Military Discounts for Car rental services.
Explore 15+ PRO TIPS to get cheaper car rental discounts every time.
The available car rental companies at LAX Airport are listed below.
Furthermore, there are other remote rental car depot services located at the intersection of Century, and Airport Boulevards. Arriving passengers need to wait for the PINK LAX shuttle sign on the Lower/Arrivals level in front of each terminal, and board the “Metro Connector” Shuttle.
Remote Car Rental Companies at LAX Airport
- Able Car Rental/Allied Rent A Car
- Ace Rent A Car
- Airport Van Rental
- Green Motion Car Rental
- Lyft Rentals
- Next Car of Los Angeles
- Priceless of Los Angeles
- State Van Rental
- U-Save Car & Truck Rental
Conclusion on Southwest Terminal at LAX Airport
Finally, we have come to the end section of this article and discovered Southwest Terminal at LAX including the terminal map, gates information, arrivals/departures, parking facility, amenities, restaurants, and much more.
In a nutshell, the Southwest Terminal at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) stands as a testament to convenience, efficiency, and customer satisfaction. With a comprehensive range of services, Southwest Airlines ensures that passengers have a seamless and enjoyable travel experience.
From the moment travelers step foot in the terminal, they are greeted with a plethora of amenities designed to meet their every need. Whether it’s grabbing a quick bite to eat at the diverse range of food options, indulging in some retail therapy at the shopping outlets, or simply relaxing in the comfortable waiting areas, the Southwest Terminal caters to all preferences and desires.
Let’s conclude with some key summaries of Southwest Terminal at LAX Airport.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is one of the major airports serving the Greater Los Angeles Area.
- LAX features nine passenger terminals namely Terminal 1, Terminal 2, Terminal 3, Terminal 4, Terminal 5, Terminal 6, Terminal 7, Terminal 8, and Tom Bradley International Airport (TBIT or Terminal B).
- Southwest Airlines operates from Terminal 1 at LAX. All arrivals and departures are handled from this terminal however, international passengers will be bused to Terminal B for international arrivals and departures.
- Southwest Airlines doesn’t feature its own lounge amenity at LAX however, passengers can enjoy delicious foods, and beverages at food courts, and restaurants in Terminal 1.
- LAX offers seven parking locations and allows passengers and visitors to book parking spaces online.
- More than 10 car rental companies offer services from Los Angeles Airport. Arriving passengers can access the rental car services.
FAQs on Southwest Terminal at LAX Airport
Which terminal does Southwest use at LAX?
Southwest Airlines operates from Terminal 1 at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). T1 facilitates domestic Flights and international check-in services for Southwest whereas passengers will be bused to Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) or Terminal B for international departures and arrivals.
Can you walk from Terminal 1 to 5 at LAX?
Passengers and visitors at LAX Airport can walk freely between most of the terminals at LAX without having to clear through security multiple times.
What airlines are in Terminal 1 LAX?
Southwest Airlines, Air Transat, Allegiant Air, Breeze Airways, Cayman Airways, Condor, Norse, Sun Country Airlines, and VivaAerobus operate in Terminal 1 at LAX Airport.
What terminal is Southwest Departures at LAX?
All Southwest departures are handled from Terminal 1 at Los Angeles Airport (LAX). Complimentary Wi-Fi, Food & Beverages, Baggage Service, restrooms, and other basic facilities are available at the departure terminal.