Southwest Airlines is recognized as a budget carrier based in Dallas, TX, United States. It operates more than 4,000 flights daily to several domestic, and international destinations.
Southwest executes its flights from key hubs located in Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago–Midway, Dallas, Denver, Houston-Hobby, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Oakland, Orlando, and Phoenix-Sky Harbor.
Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP) is one of the key domestic destinations for Southwest flights. In this travel guide, we will find out what terminal is Southwest at MSP Airport, and explore important travel guides.
Table of Contents
What terminal does Southwest use at MSP?
Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport (MSP) is one of the major international airports located in Minnesota. It is owned and operated by the Metropolitan Airports Commission and serves Minneapolis–Saint Paul region.
MSP is the primary hub for Delta Air Lines and Sun Country Airlines. The airport covers a total area of 2,930 acres (1,186 ha) and features four concrete runways with the designation Rwy 4/22, Rwy 12R/30L, Rwy 12L/30R, and Rwy 17/35.
MSP Airport features two terminals (Terminal 1 and Terminal 2) with a total of 131 gates.
Southwest Airlines currently operates from Terminal 2 at MSP Airport. All departures, and arrivals are handled from this terminal.
Southwest Gates at MSP Airport
Terminal 2 – Gates H (11-12, and 14)
Amenities offered by Southwest at OAK
- Charging Stations
- Airport-Provided WiFi
- Priority Lane
- Express Lane
- Customer Service
- Baggage Handling
Southwest Ticket counters at MSP Airport are operational every day. The counter services begin 105 minutes before the first departing flight.
Southwest Airlines recommends that passengers arrive at the airport a minimum of 120 minutes before their scheduled departure time for domestic, international, and Hawaii flights.
This allows enough time for check-in, security screening, and avoids any unforeseen delays, while also providing ample time to enjoy the airport amenities.
Important Note: All bags must be checked 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
Travel Tip for international passengers: To ensure a smooth boarding process, it is necessary to have your passport verified by an agent or kiosk at the Southwest Airlines Ticket Counter at least 60 minutes before your scheduled departure time.
This will help ensure that you and your four-legged companion have a safe and comfortable journey.
So, whether you’re traveling with a chatty parrot or a cuddly cat, be sure to check out Southwest’s pet policy before takeoff.
Ground Transportation Facility at MSP Airport
- Taxi – The taxi service at Terminal 1 can be reached by taking the Tram Level (Level T). Signs will guide passengers to go up one level to the taxi starter booth, where airport personnel will help them get a taxi.
- Car Rental – On-airport rental car counters at Terminal 1 are located on the ground level of the Silver Parking Ramp.
- App-Based Ride services including Uber/Lyft – If you intend to utilize Uber, Lyft, or any other app-based ride service, your designated vehicle will arrive to pick you up at Level 2 of the Green Parking Ramp, situated above the Ground Transport Center.
- Van and Shuttle Services -Ticket counters for van and limousine services are located in the Transit Center on Level 1 of the Gold Ramp at Terminal 1
- Light Rail Transit – The Terminal 1 METRO Blue Line station is located below the Red, Blue, and Silver parking ramps.
- Public Bus Service – City bus service (Route 54) is provided by Metro Transit. City bus picks up and drop off is located in the Transit Center on Level 1 of the Silver ramp.
- Jefferson Lines Scheduled Bus Service – Buses pick up and drop off passengers at Terminal 1 from the transportation center in the Silver Ramp.
Southwest Airlines MSP Terminal 2 Map
Terminal 1 at MSP is larger in terms of area compared to Terminal 2, as evident from the provided Terminal map.
Terminal 1 features a total of 117 gates spread across seven concourses (A–G), while Terminal 2 houses 14 gates within a single Concourse (H).
Southwest Airlines operates from Terminal 2 (Gates H) at Minneapolis Airport.
Southwest MSP Terminal Departures
If you’re flying out of MSP Airport with Southwest Airlines, your flight will be operated from Terminal 2. It is also highly recommended to check your flight status for any unexpected changes.
Southwest offers plenty of amenities, and services at the departing terminal ranging from baggage service to Wi-Fi, priority and express lanes, self-tagging, customer service, and food and dining options.
Southwest MSP Terminal Arrivals
Southwest passengers disembark at Terminal 2 after arriving at MSP Airport. After arriving, they receive various services, and amenities to enhance their travel.
Services offered to the arriving passengers include baggage claim, immigration, food & dining, ground transportation, and other basic terminal facilities.
Food and Shopping Options at MSP Terminal 2
Southwest Airlines doesn’t feature its own airport lounge service so, passengers are required to access several restaurants in MSP Terminal 2 to enjoy delicious food, and beverages.
Restaurants in MSP Terminal 2
|RESTAURANTS IN TERMINAL 2||LOCATION|
|Cocina Del Barrio||Concourse H|
|Farmer’s Fridge||Concourse H|
|Minnesota Wild Bar and Restaurant||Concourse H|
|MSP MKT||Concourse H|
|Surdyk’s Flights||Concourse H|
In addition to the dining facility, passengers can also enjoy shopping at retail shops in Terminal 2.
Retail Shops in MSP Terminal 2
|SHOPS IN TERMINAL 2||LOCATION|
|Hudson News||Concourse H|
|Mpls. St. Paul News & Gifts||Concourse H|
|MSP Shopping by Dufry||Concourse H|
Parking Facility for Southwest passengers at MSP Airport
MSP airport features on-site parking facilities with a range of parking options including Daily Parking, Quick Ride Ramp, Valet Parking Service, Hourly parking at Terminal 1, Hourly Parking at Terminal 2, and ePark Elite.
Terminal 2 Parking lots are the best option for Southwest passengers as it offers convenient access to Terminal 2.
MSP Airport Parking Rates (Terminal 2: Hourly Parking)
|Each Additional Hour||$3|
|Daily Maximum Charge||$36|
Customers can pre-book parking spaces and can save $2 per day compared to the posted drive-up rates.
For enhanced convenience, the airport authority provides the option to pre-book a parking spot. By utilizing this service, individuals who pre-book can save $2 per day compared to the rates for on-the-spot parking, and the entire process is conducted without any physical contact.
To make a reservation for parking lots, please visit the MSP Online Parking website and select your airline, entry date and time, as well as the exit date and time.
Once you click on the “Search Parking” button, the system will display all the available parking lots along with their respective prices. If you are satisfied, you can confirm your booking and proceed with the payment using a credit card.
Rental Car Facility at MSP Airport
There are various on-site car rental companies located in Terminal 1, and Terminal 2 at Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport.
- Car Rentals at Terminal 1 – Located on the ground level of the Silver Parking Ramp, and can be accessed using the underground tram to the ramp, and following the wayfinding signs to the rental area.
- Car Rentals at Terminal 2 – Located in the Ground Transportation Center on the ground level of the Purple Ramp directly across from the terminal building.
On-site rental car providers at MSP include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National, Payless Sixt, Thrifty, and Turo.
If you are an AAA member, AARP member, active-duty military personnel, national guard, and federal government employee, you get exclusive car rental discounts, and benefits.
(Check out the following blogs to grab the discounts, and amenities.)
How to get car rental discounts with AAA?
A Comprehensive Guide to Car Rental Discounts with AARP.
Discover Military Discounts for Car rental services.
Explore 15+ PRO TIPS to get cheaper car rental discounts every time.
Conclusion on ‘What terminal is Southwest at MSP?’
Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP) is one of the major domestic routes for Southwest flights. If you’re traveling with Southwest from MSP Airport, you’ll find their operations based at Terminal 2.
MSP Terminal 2 is equipped with all necessary amenities, and services to enhance your travel experience.
In this travel guide, we explored Southwest MSP Terminal Map, arrivals/departures information, amenities, services, travel tips, and more.
Furthermore, we have emphasized the wide array of dining and retail amenities accessible at Terminal 2, enabling you to savor a delightful meal or acquire any necessary travel necessities before your departure.
Moreover, we have provided information on parking alternatives and car rental services, ensuring you have convenient transportation solutions upon arrival at or departure from MSP.
Let’s conclude with some key points listed below.
- Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport (MSP) is one of the major international airports located in Minnesota.
- MSP is equipped with two terminals (Terminal 1 and Terminal 2) with a total of 131 gates. 117 gates are accommodated across seven concourses (A-G) in Terminal 1 whereas one Concourse (H) holds 14 gates in Terminal 2.
- Southwest Airlines operates from Terminal 2 at Minneapolis/St. Paul airport. All arrival and departure flights are handled from this terminal.
- Passengers can enjoy dining, and shopping at several restaurants, and retail shops in MSP Terminals.
- MSP Airport features on-site parking facilities where visitors, and passengers can park their vehicles by paying hourly, or daily charges.
- Ground Transportation facilities including Car rental services are available at MSP Airport.
FAQs on Southwest Terminal at MSP
Is Southwest Terminal 1 or 2 at MSP?
Southwest Airlines uses Terminal 2 (Gates H) at Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP). All departures and arrivals are handled from this terminal.
Does Southwest fly out of Terminal 2 at MSP?
Yes, Southwest Airlines operates flights out of Terminal 2 (Gates H) at Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP).
What airlines fly out of MSP Terminal 2?
Allegiant Air, Condor Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Icelandair, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, and Sun Country Airlines fly out of MSP Terminal 2.
How early should I arrive at MSP Terminal 2?
Passengers are recommended to arrive at MSP Airport at least two hours prior to their domestic flights and three hours prior to international travel. This will allow ample time for baggage check-in, security screening, and reaching the assigned gate.