Becoming a professional airline pilot is a dream of many aviation enthusiasts. It is one of the high-paying and popular career choices in the aviation industry. You can also become a pilot if you have strong enthusiasm.
But, how to become an airline pilot? Well, all the airline companies across the globe hire pilots for flight operations. You as an applicant must fulfill basic requirements and skills to become eligible for the flight crew position.
In this article, we will particularly focus on becoming a Qatar Airways Pilot by exploring requirements, recruitment process, training program, salary, and much more.
So, without further delay, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
About Qatar Airways
|Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, China Southern, Japan Airlines, JetBlue, Oman Air, Malaysia Airlines, and much more.
|Hamad International Airport (DOH)
|Over 233 aircraft
Boeing 787 Dreamliner
|Over 150 international destinations across Africa, Europe, Asia, America and Oceania
|Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, China Southern, Japan Airlines, JetBlue, Oman Air, Malaysia Airlines and much more.
How to Become a Qatar Airways Pilot?
Qatar Airways offers an opportunity for aspiring aviation enthusiasts and experienced pilots to join the team of flight crew and enhance Qatari flight operations. The flag carrier provides various gateways to becoming a professional pilot.
Following are the options you can choose to become a Qatar Airways Pilot.
- Apply for the First Officer position
- Apply for the Type Rated Captain
- Join the Qatar Airways Pilot Cadet Programme
With that, let’s explore all these options one by one below.
Apply for the First Officer Position
The First Officer position is for those candidates who have recently begun their piloting career and gained minimum experience in flying an aircraft. To become eligible, you must meet the basic requirements mentioned below.
Qatar Airways invites applications for Boeing Rated First Officer and Airbus Rated First Officer so, candidates are required to apply as per their expertise.
Qatar Airways Pilot Requirements for First Officer
Here are the basic requirements you need to fulfill before applying for the First Officer (FO) position at Qatar Airways.
- A minimum of 1000 total flying hours is required on the aircraft mentioned in the vacancy (Boeing or Airbus).
- Applicants must hold current ICAO ATPL or Frozen ATPL with a valid instrument rating on the aircraft type.
- Applicants must have obtained a Class 1 Medical Certificate issued by ICAO with a validity of a minimum of 3 months.
- Must hold valid Theoretical Knowledge Results or Certificates.
- A minimum Proficiency Level of 4 in the English language is mandatory.
- Applicants must have conducted the last flight on the applied aircraft type within the past 12 months.
- ATPL holders must have accumulated 250 hours as PIC-Pilot in Command (70 hours as PIC and 180 hours PICUS or 500 hours PICUS is accepted)
Apply for the Type Rated Captain
If you are already an experienced pilot and have collected ample flying hours and experience on the aircraft type owned by Qatar Airways, you are fully eligible for applying to the Type Rated Captain position.
You will find vacancies for Boeing Type Rated Captains and Airbus Type Rated Captains. Therefore, you must apply for the appropriate position.
Qatar Airways Pilot Requirements for Type-Rated Captain
Here are the basic requirements for the Type Rated Captain position at Qatar Airways.
- A minimum of 6000 hours of total flight time on a Commercial jet over 50T.
- A minimum of 2000 hours of total flight time as Pilot in Command (PIC) on the specified aircraft type.
- Applicants must hold current ICAO ATPL with a valid instrument rating on the aircraft type.
- Must have obtained Class 1 Medical Certificate issued by ICAO with a minimum validity of 3 months.
- English Language Proficiency Level 4 is the minimum language requirement.
- Applicants must have conducted the last flight on the mentioned aircraft type within the past 12 months.
Qatar Airways Pilot Recruitment Process
If you fulfill all the requirements and experience discussed above, you are eligible to apply for the First Officer or Captain vacancy at Qatar Airways. For that, you need to go through the following processes.
- At first, you must visit the Qatar Airways Careers Website and find vacancies for Qatar Airways Pilot. As per your qualification, you can apply for First Officer or Captain position.
- You are required to submit an online application via the careers site including your personal information, documents, photograph, and other essential details.
- The airline hiring team will analyze your online application and if selected, you will go through an initial online psychological test that may include memory tests, recall ability, spatial awareness, data analysis, pattern recognition, and much more.
- If you manage to pass the initial psychological tests, you are then invited to Doha for a technical test, in-depth interview, and simulator tests.
- After completing all the steps, you will be selected for the Qatar Airways Pilot position. But before allowing you to fly, the airline will conduct pre-employment checks and other required checks to ensure you are ready for commercial operation.
Qatar Airways Cadet Pilot Programme
We have explored the opportunities to become a Qatar Airways Pilot if you are already an experienced pilot. But, what if you are just a beginner and trying to embark on the journey as an airline pilot? This is where Qatar Airways Cadet Pilot Programme benefits you.
The main motive of the Cadet Pilot Programme is to select high-caliber students and furnish their careers as professional airline pilots. The selected trainees will go through intensive training at the Qatar Airways training facility and then receive a hands-on role in Qatar’s flagship airline.
Those students completing the Qatar Airways Cadet Pilot Programme will receive Multi-Crew Pilot License (MPL) and a Bachelor’s Degree in aviation. The Cadet Pilot training includes 18 months of foundation course for Maths, Science, and English if required. After that, trainees will go through 20 months of intensive pilot training that includes theory and practical classes at Qatar Aeronautical College (QAC).
After the successful completion of the program, the cadets will be provided with the opportunity to be trained as Second Officers on Qatar Airways’ fleet. Working as a Second Officers, cadets will gain ample experience and technical training to become promoted as First Officer.
The cost of the Cadet Pilot Programme is not disclosed officially however, you can expect over QAR 400,510 (US$110,000) for the full course. This amount can be paid in instalments for which you will be informed during the interview process. You will also get the bond agreement with Qatar Airways if the training cost is sponsored by the airline.
Furthermore, selected students will benefit from various schemes including full support for tuition fees, a monthly stipend in college, monthly salary working as Second Officer, and medical insurance with International Coverage.
With that, let’s find out the requirements to join this awesome program.
Qatar Airways Cadet Pilot Programme Requirements
To become eligible for applying to the Cadet Pilot Programme at Qatar Airways, you are required to meet the following requirements.
- The minimum age of the applicant must be 18 years but not exceeding 32 years at the time of commencing the MPL Course.
- Applicants must be Qatari nationals or have a Qatari mother.
- A Secondary School Education Certificate (Science Stream with an average of 75% or higher) equivalent to the Ministry of Education & Higher Education grading scale is mandatory.
- Applicants must have obtained an overall IELTS score of 4.5 with a minimum of 4.5 scores on each band.
- Applicants must pass all the entry-level exams of the Qatar Aeronautical College (QAC).
- Applicants must agree to serve with Qatar Airways for a minimum of 5 years that begins from the date of appointment as a First Officer.
- Must pass the security clearances
- Must be able to fulfill QCAA Class 1 Medical requirements.
- Must obtain CID Clearance.
- Must be able to pass all the Placement Tests.
- Must be able to pass the Qatar Airways Interview.
How to apply for the Cadet Pilot Programme?
You can apply online via the Qatar Airways Cadet Pilot Programme site but before that, you need to ensure the minimum qualifications are strongly fulfilled.
After an analysis of your online application, the airline recruitment team will conduct placement tests and interviews to select you for the training program.
Qatar Airways Pilot Uniform
Qatar Airways Pilot Salary
The salary of Qatar Airways pilots fluctuates depending on the aircraft type, destination, flight hours, pilot expertise, and so on.
Pilots at Qatar Airways can earn an average of QAR 341,245 (US$93,722) per year and this pay scale can range from QAR 118,347 (US$32,503) to QAR 623,984 (US$171,377) per year depending upon the flight hours, seniority level and experience gained.
Qatar Airways Pilot Salary Per Hour
Talking about the hourly rate, First Officer can make an average of QAR 90 (US$24.72) per hour whereas a Captain can earn an hourly average of QAR 120 (US$32.96).
Qatar Airways Pilot Salary Per Month
The monthly average salary of a Qatar Airways pilot is QAR 28,437 (US$7,810) and it can range from QAR 9,862.17 (US$2,708.64) to QAR 51,998 (US$14,281).
Qatar Airways Pilot Benefits
In addition to the basic salary, pilots at Qatar Airways enjoy various benefits and perks.
- Attractive Salary Package
- Company-Provided Housing
- Transport Allowance
- Meal Allowance during layovers
- Health and Life Insurance
- Annual Leave
- Travel Perks and Discounts
Conclusion on Becoming Qatar Airways Pilot
This is how you can become a Qatar Airways pilot and advance your career as a professional airline pilot. You have three options to choose from that including First Officer, Captain, and Cadet Pilot Programme.
If you are an experienced pilot, you can go for First Officer or Captain vacancy whereas fresher candidates can choose the Qatar Airways Cadet Pilot Programme.
You can write in the comment section below or contact us directly for any doubts or queries.
Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much does a Qatar Airways pilot make?
Qatar Airways pilots can make an average of QAR 341,245 (US$93,722) per year and this pay scale can range from QAR 118,347 (US$32,503) to QAR 623,984 (US$171,377) per year depending upon the flight hours, seniority level and experience gained.
Can I be a pilot at Qatar Airways?
Yes, you can become a Qatar Airways by applying for First Officer or Captain Vacancy or joining the Cadet Pilot Programme. For that, you need to fulfill basic requirements and qualifications.
How much does Qatar Airways Cadet Pilot Program Cost?
The cost of the Qatar Airways Cadet Pilot Program can exceed QAR 400,510 (US$110,000) which needs to be paid in installments.