Want to become a Frontier Airlines Pilot in 2022?
Frontier offers opportunities for young as well as experienced aviators to join the pilot job. For that, you must fulfil various requirements and go through assessments to become a professional pilot.
We have prepared this detailed article to let you explore all the aspects of becoming a pilot for Frontier Airlines in 2022.
Let’s begin with a basic introduction to Frontier Airlines.
- About Frontier Airlines
- How to become a Frontier Airlines Pilot?
- Frontier Airlines Pilot Requirements
- Frontier Airlines Pilot Hiring Process
- Frontier Airlines Pilot Pathway Program
- Frontier Airlines Pilot Salary
- Frontier Airlines Pilot Benefits
- Frontier Airlines Pilot Uniform
- Frontier Airlines Pilot Bases
- Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
About Frontier Airlines
Frontier Airlines is a budget airline that operates flights to more than 100 domestic destinations across the United States and 31 international sectors. The airline has its headquarter in Denver, Colorado.
Frontier operates from 7 hubs located at different airports in the U.S. As per the latest fleet status, the airline owns 16 Airbus A320-200, 74 Airbus A320neo and 21 Airbus A321-200.
In addition, the airline has active orders for 74 Airbus A320neo and 168 Airbus A321neo whose deliveries are expected to begin from 2022.
How to become a Frontier Airlines Pilot?
Frontier Airlines announces vacancies on its official website for pilots. You as an applicant must fulfil basic, educational and FAA requirements to apply for the post.
At Frontier, you can become a pilot via two options – Apply for First Officer or Choose Frontier Airlines Pilot Pathway Program.
First, let’s find out how you can become a First Officer.
Applying for Frontier Airlines First Officer
Frontier Airlines looks for candidates with the ability to offer great customer service, ensure safe and timely flight operations and executive duties in accordance with the airline policy and Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) Regulations.
Frontier Airlines Pilot Requirements
Here are the basic requirements you need to meet before applying for the First Officer position at Frontier.
- A High School Diploma or Equivalent level of education is required.
- Must hold a valid U.S. passport with machine-readable print.
- Must obtain legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Must acquire legal authorization to travel in and out of the United States.
- Applicants must show proof of COVID-19 Vaccination.
- Fluency in English Language (Reading, Writing and Speaking) is a must.
- Must be familiar with technology including computer, iPad and others.
- Must be able to adjust to the company’s varying flight schedules.
- Applicants must be able to pass the background checks and drug screening tests.
- Must be able to relocate as per airline’s requirement.
- Must maintain a well-groomed and professional appearance.
- Must be able to handle objects weighing up to 50 pounds occasionally and/or up-to 20 pounds frequently.
FAA Certification Requirement
- Applicant must obtain Current FAA Class 1 Medical Certificate.
- Must hold Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate.
- Must obtain FCC Restricted Radio Operator’s Permit.
Flight Time Requirement
In addition to the basic and FAA Certification Requirements, you must hold the required flight time mentioned below.
- Applicants must hold a minimum of 1,500 hours of total flight time.
- Applicants with a total flight time of 2,500 hours are highly preferred.
- A minimum of 750 hours of flight time in multi-engine fixed-wing aircraft is required.
- 500 hours flight time as a Pilot in Command (PIC) is also demanded.
- A minimum of 500 hours of flight time in jet/turboprop aircraft is needed.
Frontier Airlines Pilot Hiring Process
If you meet all the requirements we discussed above, you are fully eligible to apply to the First Officer position at Frontier Airlines. For that, you need to go through the following processes.
- First of all, visit the career section of Frontier’s official website and look for active vacancies.
- If you find vacancies, you can apply online by creating an account at the Airline Apps. You will be asked to provide your email and other information to create an account. The email address you provide must be valid otherwise you won’t receive important updates.
- After creating an account, you need to submit an online application with the required documentation.
- The airline HR department will carefully review your application and select you for further assessments that may include interviews, document verification, psychometric tests, skills tests, cognitive tests and so on.
- If you manage to pass all the assessments and get your documents/certificates verified, you will be selected for the First Officer job at Frontier Airlines.
Frontier Airlines Pilot Pathway Program
Frontier Airlines recently announced a pilot pathway program in coordination with ATP Flight School. This program has been introduced to offer better career opportunities for ATP Flight School graduates and Certificated Flight Instructors (CFIs).
You as an ATP graduate and experienced CFI can reach the Frontier Airlines flight deck directly after completing ATP CTP training. This training includes additional Airbus A320 full-motion flight simulator experience.
Pilot Pathway Program Requirements
You must fulfil the following requirements to join the Frontier Airlines Pilot Pathway program.
- The minimum age of the applicant must be 18 years.
- Must hold U.S. citizenship or Permanent Residency.
- High School Diploma or GED Education Level is mandatory.
- Must be able to obtain First Class Medical Certificate issued by FAA.
Career Progression via Pilot Pathway Program
Your career progression through the Pilot Pathway Program offered by Frontier Airlines and ATP Flight School can be understood in the following steps.
- First of all, you will acquire a Private Pilot License (PPL) Certificate to build the foundation for more advanced training, certificates and ratings.
- After receiving PPL Certificate, you will undertake Instrument Rating (IR) training to fly in all weather conditions.
- Acquiring competency in IR will take you towards Commercial Pilot License (CPL) Certificate training where you will fly to a higher standard and learn professional skills.
- With CPL, you will get opportunities to gain experience for Flight Instructor Certificate and finally become a certificated flight instructor (CFI).
- Then, you will start accumulating flight experience with ATP as paid flight instructors.
- After collecting a total flight time of 1,250 to 1,500 hours, you will be eligible for an instructors interview with Frontier Airlines which requires you to go through selection and interview processes.
- If you pass the selection process, you will receive a Conditional Offer of Employment and start gaining more flight experience with ATP.
- Before becoming a Frontier Airlines pilot, you will go through an enhanced ATP-CTP (Airline Transport Pilot – Certified Training Program) course that includes full-motion Airbus A320 simulator training.
This is how you become a professional pilot for Frontier Airlines after completing the ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program.
Explore Pilot Job opportunities on other airlines in the United States. How to become a United Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become an American Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become a Southwest Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become an Alaska Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become a Delta Air Lines Pilot in 2022? How to become a Hawaiian Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become an Allegiant Air Pilot in 2022? How to become an Avelo Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become a Breeze Airways Pilot in 2022? How to become a JetBlue Airways Pilot in 2022? How to become a Spirit Airlines Pilot in 2022? How to become a Sun Country Airlines Pilot in 2022?
Frontier Airlines Pilot Salary
Pilots at Frontier Airlines can earn an average of $113,790 per year. This pay scale can range from $59,809 per year (for a new First Officer) to $334,878 per year (for a Senior Captain).
The hourly rate of First Officers (FOs) and Captains is illustrated in the table below.
|SENIORITY LEVEL||CAPTAIN SALARY||FIRST OFFICER SALARY|
|1||$196.89 per hour||$61.77 per hour|
|2||$213.08 per hour||$115.28 per hour|
|3||$216.39 per hour||$123.84 per hour|
|4||$220.81 per hour||$130.85 per hour|
|5||$223.01 per hour||$138.81 per hour|
|6||$225.22 per hour||$144.54 per hour|
|7||$228.71 per hour||$151.14 per hour|
Note: This salary rate is based on the latest list of 2022.
Frontier Airlines Pilot Benefits
Besides basic salary, pilots at Frontier Airlines enjoy various benefits and perks.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Health Saving Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Travel Benefits including Frontier Travel Perks and Buddy Passes
- Paid Time Off
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance
Frontier Airlines Pilot Uniform
Frontier Airlines Pilot Bases
Frontier Airlines operates from 7 different bases located at airports across the United States. Pilots are required to work from any of these bases and relocate according to the company policy.
The pilot bases are displayed in the table below.
|Denver, Colorado||Denver International Airport (DIA)|
|Las Vegas, NV||Harry Reid International Airport (LAS)|
|Chicago, Illinois||Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)|
|Tampa, Florida||Tampa International Airport (TPA)|
|Philadelphia, Pennsylvania||Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)|
|Orlando, Florida||Orlando International Airport (MCO)|
|Mercer County, New Jersey||Trenton-Mercer Airport (TTN)|
|Miami, Florida||Miami International Airport (MIA)|
Airlines across the globe are offering opportunities for fresh aviators as well as experienced flight crews to join their teams. Frontier Airlines is among them and offers the two options to become a pilot.
If you meet all requirements, you can apply for the position whenever vacancies arrive. At present, airlines are facing pilot shortages worldwide so, there are more opportunities available.
Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much does a Frontier pilot make?
Frontier Airlines pilots can make an average of $113,790 per year. This pay scale can range from $59,809 per year (for a new First Officer) to $334,878 per year (for a Senior Captain).
How long is Frontier pilot training?
The Pilot Pathway Program Training offered by ATP and Frontier Airlines requires trainees to acquire 1250-2500 hours of total flight time.
Where are Frontier pilots based?
Frontier Airlines pilots are based in Denver, Las Vegas, Orlando, Miami, Tampa, Chicago IL & the Trenton/Philadelphia area.
Where do Frontier pilots train?
Pilots at Frontier Airlines receive training at the ATP Flight Schools located across the United States.