Are you preparing to apply for Sun Country Airlines Pilot jobs in 2023? If yes, you need to know some important information before applying for the position.
We have prepared this detailed article on ‘How to become a Sun Country Airlines Pilot?’ including requirements, salary, processes, pilot bases and much more.
Let’s begin with some basic information on Sun Country Airlines.
Table of Contents
About Sun Country Airlines
Sun Country Airlines is a budget carrier that operates commercial passenger flights to over 86 destinations in the United States, Central America, the Caribbean, Europe and Mexico. The airline has its headquarter in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
At present, Sun Country operates flights with 43 Boeing 737-800NG’s and 1 Boeing 737-700. Las Vegas, Fort Myers, Orlando and Los Angeles are the top domestic destinations for the airline.
Talking about the base, the airline operates from Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport located in Minnesota.
How to become a Sun Country Airlines Pilot in 2023?
Sun Country Airlines provides opportunities for aspiring aviators to join pilot jobs. For that, you as an applicant must fulfil basic requirements, FAA Certification requirements and others to become eligible.
At Sun Country Airlines, you can become a pilot in two ways which are:
Applying for the First Officer position
Applying for the First Officer Position
Sun Country Airlines announces vacancies for the First Officer (FO) position on its official website. The airline seeks for experienced pilots to handle their flight operations.
As an applicant, you need to meet eligibility criteria before applying for the FO position.
Sun Country Airlines Pilot Requirements
Here are the basic requirements for the Sun Country First Officer position.
- 23 years for ATP and 21 Years for Restricted ATP
- A High School Diploma, GED or equivalent level of education is required.
- Having a Bachelor’s degree is a plus point.
- Applicants must be able to fulfil Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate requirements.
- Must hold a valid US passport or valid passport with Green Card.
- Must obtain legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Must obtain legal authorization to travel in and out of the United States.
- Must hold a valid US Driver’s License.
- Fluency in English Language (Speaking, Reading, Writing) is a must.
FAA Certification Requirements
You also need to obtain various FAA Certifications to apply for the FO position.
- Applicants must obtain a Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate.
- Must obtain FCC Radio License.
- Applicants Must hold Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL).
Flight Time Requirements
In addition to the basic requirements and certification requirements, you need to hold minimum flight time requirements also.
For ATP Certificate Holder
- You must hold at least 1,500 hours of total flight time.
- Must have logged 500 hours of cross country flight.
- 100 hours of night flight time is also required.
- 75 hours of total flight time with the instrument is demanded.
- 50 hours of multi-engine experience is required.
For Restricted ATP Eligible
- Applicants must have completed ATP/CTP Course and passed the current ATP Written exam.
- Total flight time of 1,500 hours (100 hours simulator time can be included).
- 250 hours as a Pilot in Command (PIC) in a fixed-wing aircraft is required.
- 200 hours Cross Country flight time is required (100 hours must be PIC experience).
- 100 hours of night flight experience including 25 hours PIC experience is mandatory.
- 75 hours of instrument flying and 25 hours of multi-engine flight time is required.
For Aviation College Background
Those candidates who graduated from an FAA Part 141 accredited school with an associate degree can also apply for the FO position. The requirements are illustrated in the table below.
|Restricted ATP – 1250 Hours||Restricted ATP – 1000 Hours|
|Completed ATP/CTP Course||Completed ATP/CTP Course|
|Passed Current ATP Written Exam||Passed Current ATP Written Exam|
|1250 hours of total flight time (100 hours simulator time can be included)||1000 hours of total flight time (100 hours simulator time can be included)|
|250 hours of flight time as a Pilot in Command (PIC)||250 hours of flight time as a Pilot in Command (PIC)|
|At least 30 credit hours in an Aviation Major||At least 60 credit hours in an Aviation Major|
|200 hours of cross country flight time (100 hours as a PIC)||200 hours of cross country flight time (100 hours as a PIC)|
|100 hours of night flight time with 25 hours as a PIC||100 hours of night flight time with 25 hours as a PIC|
|75 hours of total instrument flight time||75 hours of total instrument flight time|
|25 hours multi-engine flying experience||25 hours multi-engine flying experience|
For Military Background
Those candidates with military experience must meet the following requirements to apply for the FO position at Sun Country Airlines.
- The minimum age must be 21 years old.
- Applicants must have graduated from a US Armed Forces Undergraduate Pilot Training School.
- Must have obtained a Military Pilot rating qualification.
- Must have completed ATP/CTP course and passed current ATP Written exam.
- 750 hours of total flight time is required (100 hours of simulator flying experience can be included).
- 250 hours of total flight time as a Pilot In Command is required.
- 200 hours of total cross country flight time with 100 hours as a PIC is demanded.
- 100 hours night flight time including 25 hours as a PIC.
- 75 hours of instrument flying experience.
- 25 hours of actual multi-engine flying experience.
Sun Country Airlines Pilot Hiring Process
If you meet all the requirements mentioned above, you can apply for the First Officer position whenever vacancies arrive. For that, you need to go through the following processes.
- First of all, you need to visit the official website and find vacancies for First Officer. You can also visit the Airline Apps website or search Google to find any open vacancies.
- As you find the vacancy, create an account in Airline Apps with the required information and documents.
- After creating an account, you can apply online for the Sun Country Airlines pilot job. For that, you need to submit your resume, documents, photographs and other details.
- The airline hiring department will carefully analyze your application to select you for further assessments that may include interviews, skills tests, psychometric tests, document verification and much more.
- If you manage to pass all the assessments, you will become a Sun Country Airlines First Officer.
Sun Country Airlines Direct Program
Sun Country Airlines has collaborated with ATP Flight School to provide airline-oriented flight training. This intensive Airline Career Pilot training program allows aviation enthusiasts to become professional pilots from scratch.
You can become a professional pilot with this program after completing a jet transition program and ATP CTP training.
Requirements for Direct Program
To become eligible for the Sun Country Direct Program, you need to meet the following requirements.
- The applicant must be a US citizen or a Permanent Resident.
- The minimum age requirement is 18 years.
- A High School Diploma or GED Education Level is required.
- Applicants must meet the Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate.
Career Progression with the Direct Program
- At the initial phase of the Airline Career Pilot Program, you will obtain FAA Commercial Multi-engine Pilot Certificate and instrument rating. You will also earn flight instructor certificates.
- After completing the first phase, you will become a flight instructor at ATP and start accumulating flight experience to meet the Sun Country Airlines minimum hiring requirements.
- As you collect a total flight time of 1,200 to 1,500 hours, you will get an opportunity for an instructors interview with Sun Country Airlines.
- If you manage to pass the interview and other selection processes, you will receive a Conditional Job Offer while you will be working with ATP to collect a total flight time of 1,500 hours.
- Acquiring 1,500 hours of total flight time is a ticket to enter the Jet Transition and ATP CTP training program. This intensive training includes Boeing 737 full-motion simulation training to prepare for flying Sun Country Airlines Boeing fleet.
- As you complete the intensive simulator training, you will finally become a First Officer for Sun Country Airlines.
Explore More Pilot Opportunities in the United States: Become a United Airlines Pilot Become an American Airlines Pilot Become a Southwest Airlines Pilot Become an Alaska Airlines Pilot Become a Delta Air Lines Pilot Become a Hawaiian Airlines Pilot Become an Allegiant Air Pilot Become an Avelo Airlines Pilot Become a Breeze Airways Pilot Become a Frontier Airlines Pilot Become a JetBlue Airways Pilot Become a Spirit Airlines Pilot
Sun Country Airlines Pilot Salary
Sun Country Airlines Pilots can earn an average of $121,895 per year and this pay scale can range from $114,235 per year to $135,235 per year.
As per airline policy, the new First Officers receive an hourly rate of $52 during the first year of employment. The airline also offers a salary of up to 150 per cent with additional flying options.
Sun Country Airlines Pilot Benefits
Besides basic salary, pilots at Sun Country Airlines can enjoy the following benefits.
- Generous Health Insurance plans including Vision and Dental Coverage.
- 100 per cent company paid Life Insurance.
- 401(k) retirement plan.
- Quick Upgrade to Captain
- 100 per cent Cancellation and Dead Head Pay
Sun Country Airlines Pilot Uniform
Sun Country Airlines Pilot Bases
Sun Country Airlines operates from its major hub at Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP). So, pilots are required to operate from this base located in Minnesota, United States
If you are planning to become a Sun Country Airlines pilot, you can apply today by joining the ATP Flight School. If you are already an experienced pilot, you can directly apply for the First Officer position.
If you have any doubts or queries, please do write in the comment section below or contact us.
Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much does Sun Country pilots make?
Sun Country Airlines Pilots make an average of $121,895 per year and this pay scale can range from $114,235 per year to $135,235 per year. Fresh First Officers earn $52 per hour.
How many pilots does Sun Country Airlines have?
At present, there are more than 100 pilots working for Sun Country Airlines.
How many employees does Sun Country have?
More than 1,800 employees are currently working for Sun Country Airlines.
I would love to become a pilot. I do have a family though that I need to take care of and still earn an income in the mean time. Would you recommend I get my ppl, instrument, commercial, multi engine locally first and then apply for the first officer position? I would love to be able to apply for atp and get my training done quicker, but I do not have the means to take care of my family with 0 income for 7 to 9 months.