Becoming a pilot is a dream for every aviation enthusiast. It might be your dream also so, are you planning to pursue your career in the aviation industry as a flight crew?
You know you can apply for pilot jobs in various airlines in the United States and foreign countries. We have already published pilot series on our website which you can find here.
In this particular article, we will be dealing with requirements, processes, salary and overall information related to becoming a Spirit Airlines Pilot in 2023.
Without further delay, let’s get to our topic with a short introduction about Spirit Airlines.
Table of Contents
About Spirit Airlines
Spirit Airlines is one of the budget carriers in the United States that operates flights to over 83 domestic destinations. The airline has its headquarter in Miramar, Florida.
Spirit operates from seven bases located at different airports across the United States.
Talking about the fleet details, the airline owns 31 Airbus A319-100, 64 Airbus A320-200, 49 Airbus A320neo and 30 Airbus A321-200. In addition, the airline has orders for 31 A319neo, 79 A320neo and 2 A321neo.
How to become a Spirit Airlines Pilot in 2023?
Spirit Airlines offers opportunities for experienced pilots to join the First Officer position. For that, the airline announces vacancies on its official website.
Besides, the airline also offers Spirit Jetway Program in collaboration with Cape Air to provide an accelerated path for pilots looking to transition from a regional carrier to a major airliner.
As an applicant, you need to fulfil basic requirements, FAA Certification requirements and Flight Time requirements before applying to Spirit Airline’s pilot vacancy.
Spirit Airlines Pilot Requirements
Here are the basic requirements you need to fulfil before applying to the First Officer position at Spirit Airlines.
- High School Diploma or GED Level Education is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college is preferred.
- A valid passport with at least six months of validity is mandatory.
- Applicants must obtain legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Applicants must hold legal authorization to travel in and out of the United States.
- Fluency in English Language (Reading, Writing and Speaking) is a must.
- Applicants must be able to fulfil the Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate.
FAA Certification Requirements
Besides basic requirements, you must obtain FAA Certification to be eligible.
- You must obtain a Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate.
- You must hold FCC Radio Telephone Operator Permit.
- Must have obtained Current Unrestricted Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL) with multi-engine.
Flight Time Requirements
In addition to the basic requirements and FAA Certifications, you need to meet the following flight time requirements.
- You must have logged a total of 1,500 hours of flight time.
Those candidates with the following proficiencies are highly preferred.
- A minimum of 2,500 hours of total flight time in fixed-wing aircraft.
- A minimum of 750 hours of flight time in multi-engine, turboprop or jet aircraft.
- A320 Type Rating
- Flight Instructor/Check Airman Experience
- Experience in aircraft equipped with EFIS (Electronic Flight Instrument System) and/or FMS (Flight Management System).
- Experience in 121 airlines or turbojet aircraft.
Spirit Airlines Pilot Hiring Process
If you meet all basic requirements, FAA Certification Requirements and Flight Time Requirements, you are eligible for applying to the Spirit Airlines First Officer Position. For that, you need to go through the following processes.
- First of all, you need to find an active vacancy on the airline’s official website.
- You need to create a profile on the career website using your valid email address. You are asked to submit a resume, personal information and other details.
- After you submit your application, you can check the status by logging in to your profile and checking the candidate dashboard.
- If your application status is approved, you will be contacted for further assessments that may include interviews, skills tests, document verification, cognitive tests and much more.
- You will be selected for the First Officer position after successfully completing and passing all the assessments.
Spirit Airlines Pilot Training Program
Spirit Airlines offers Spirit Jetway Program in collaboration with Cape Air to provide pilots with an accelerated and systematic approach to transition from a regional carrier to a major airliner.
This program is available to the existing and future Cape Air Captains to become eligible for the First Officer position at Spirit Airlines.
To become eligible for the Jetway Program, you as an existing Pilot must fulfil the following requirements.
- Pilots must be in good standing with the airlines.
- Must pass an initial interview conducted by Spirit Airlines.
- A college degree is preferred but not compulsorily required.
As you get accepted to the Jetway Program, you will be assigned a Spirit mentor who will assist you in succeeding at Cape Air. You are required to complete 2 years as a Captain and successfully finish a ‘Jet Transition Course’ introduced by Spirit Airlines.
After accumulating a total of 3,000 hours of flight time, you will get an opportunity to take a class date at Spirit. You won’t require any further interviews for the class date.
Explore pilot opportunities on other airlines in the United States. Become a United Airlines Pilot Become an American Airlines Pilot Become a Southwest Airlines Pilot Become an Alaska Airlines Pilot Become a Delta Air Lines Pilot Become a Hawaiian Airlines Pilot Become an Allegiant Air Pilot Become an Avelo Airlines Pilot Become a Breeze Airways Pilot Become a Frontier Airlines Pilot Become a JetBlue Airways Pilot Become a Sun Country Airlines Pilot
Spirit Airlines Pilot Salary
Pilots at Spirit Airlines earn an average of $107,348 per year and this pay scale can range from $62,235 per year for a fresh First Officer to $175,839 per year of a Senior Captain.
The hourly salary rate of the First Officer and Captain is illustrated in the table below.
|FIRST OFFICER SALARY||CAPTAIN SALARY|
|STARTING||$59 per hour||$189 per hour|
|AVERAGE||$139 per hour||$216 per hour|
|TOP||$167 per hour||$252 per hour|
Spirit Airlines Pilot Benefits
In addition to the basic salary, pilots at Spirit Airlines receive various benefits and perks.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (HFSA)
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
- Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Employment Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation and Sick Leave
- Unlimited Travel With Spirit
- Buddy Passes
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Various Training and Development Programs
- Car Rentals, Meal Plans, Pet Rx assistance, Cellular Phone Services, Shipping Services and much more…
Spirit Airlines Pilot Uniform
Spirit Airlines Pilot Bases
Pilots at Spirit Airlines are required to operate from the following bases located at 7 airports across the United States.
|OPERATING BASE AIRPORT||LOCATION|
|Atlantic City International Airport (ACY)||Atlantic City, New Jersey|
|Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)||Chicago, Illinois|
|Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)||Dallas, Texas|
|Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)||Romulus, Michigan|
|Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)||Broward County, Florida|
|Harry Reid International Airport (LAS)||Las Vegas|
|Orlando International Airport (MCO)||Downtown Orlando, Florida|
If you are planning to become a Spirit Airlines pilot, do read this article carefully as it includes all the information.
You need to frequently visit Spirit Airline’s official website and look for vacancies. As you meet the requirements, you can apply online by creating a profile and submitting an application.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us or ask questions in the comment section below in case of any doubts or queries.
Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much money does a Spirit Airline Pilot make?
Spirit Airlines pilots make an average of $107,348 per year and this salary can range from $62,235 per year for a fresh First Officer to $175,839 per year of a Senior Captain.
Does Spirit require a Bachelor’s Degree?
Spirit Airlines doesn’t require a Bachelor’s Degree however if you have one, it is a plus point. The minimum requirement is High School Diploma or GED Education Level.
How long is Spirit Pilot Training?
The Spirit Jetway Program requires a pilot to complete 2 years as a Captain role and acquire 3000 hours of total flight time to become eligible for the Spirit Airlines First Officer position.