Newark is a famous city in the U.S. state of New Jersey nicknamed the Brick City, The Gateway City, or City By the River. Prudential Center, Newark Museum of Art, and Branch Brook Park are some of the city’s major attractions.
Regarding transportation, New Jersey features multiple airports that facilitate regular commercial flights to and from the city connecting several domestic and international destinations.
In this article, we will explore all airports in Newark NJ including their infrastructure, facilities, services, airlines, destinations, and more. Whether you’re a tourist, local resident, or business traveler, this article will assist you in getting familiar with the airports in Newark.
So, let’s get right into what Newark’s airports have to offer.
Table of Contents
What are the major airports in Newark NJ?
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) is the only primary commercial airport in the city of Newark. It is one of the busiest airports in the United States.
Related: What are the 3 busiest airports in the U.S.?
In addition to EWR, you can find several general aviation facilities, and private, and regional airports in the region including Teterboro Airport (TEB), Essex County Airport (CDW), Linden Airport (LDJ), Morristown Municipal Airport (MMU), and Trenton-Mercer Airport (TTN).
Now, let’s explore all airports in detail.
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
Newark Liberty Int’l Airport (ICAO: KEWR, IATA: EWR, FAA LID: EWR) is one of the busiest airports in the U.S., and the only primary international airport in Newark city. The airport is a major hub for United Airlines (passenger carrier), and FedEx Express (cargo carrier).
EWR is owned, and operated by the Port Authority of New York, and New Jersey. This airport is located approximately 4.5 miles south of downtown Newark, and primarily serves New York Metropolitan Area.
More than 30 commercial passenger airlines, and 7 cargo carriers operate regular flights to and from EWR connecting the airport to various domestic, and international destinations.
EWR Airport Infrastructure
Newark Liberty Int’l Airport (EWR) occupies a total area of 2,027 acres (820 ha), and features three runways with the designations RWY 4L/22R, RWY 4R/22L, and RWY 11/29. Plus, there is an asphalt helipad H1 with a length of 54 ft (16 m).
|RWY 4L/22R||11,000 ft by 150 ft|
(3,353 m by 46 m)
|RWY 4R/22L||10,000 ft by 150 ft|
3,048 m by 46 m
|RWY 11/29||6,726 ft by 150 ft||Asphalt|
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) is equipped with three terminals; Terminal A, Terminal B, and Terminal C. These terminals accommodate three concourses each.
|TERMINAL A||A1, A2, and A3|
|TERMINAL B||B1, B2, and B3|
|TERMINAL C||C1, C2, and C3|
Terminal A is primarily used for domestic and regional flights so, it is known as a domestic terminal. The Concourses A1, A2, and A3 are further dispersed into four levels.
Terminal B at Newark is owned and managed by the Port Authority and it holds Concourses B1, B2, and B3. This terminal is responsible for both domestic and international flights.
Likewise, Terminal C holds Concourses C1, C2, and C3 allocated into five levels and is exclusively used by United Airlines. (Explore United Airlines Terminal at EWR Airport).
- Airlines – Air Canada, American Airlines, JetBlue, and United Airlines (United Express)
- Shopping Options – Artist PopShop, Boardwalk, BOLD Newark, Herschel/Tentree/TUMI/Hugo Boss, Hudson Nonstop, Ink Bookstore, InMotion Entertainment, Kiehl’s, MAC, New Jersey Monthly, Shore Points Market, Sunglass Hut, Telegraph 1st Edition, The Atrium, The Black Home, Vue New Jersey, and WH Smith + Wellness.
- Food Options – Bang Cookies, Bluestone Lane, BurgerFi, Carlito’s BBQ Taqueria, D’Taco Joint, Dunkin’, Ess-A-Bagel, Felina Cucina, Garden State Market, Jersey & Co. Gelato, Kitchen Step, Mediterranean Grill, Playa Bowls, Shake Shack, Smokehouse BBQ, Sora Japanese Cuisine & Sushi, Starbucks, The Market, The Office Tavern Grill, Tonnie’’s Minis, Town Bar & Kitchen, and Zaro’s Bakery.
- Airlines – Aer Lingus, Air China, Air France, Air India, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Air, Austrian Airlines, British Airways, Delta Air Lines, El Al, Elite Airways, Emirates, Ethiopian Airlines, Frenchbee, Icelandair, JetBlue, La Compagnie, LOT-Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Porter, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Swiss, TAP Air Portugal, Turkish Airlines, and United Airlines (International Arrivals).
- Shopping Options – All you need, America!, EJE Travel Retail Duty Free, InMotion Entertainment, Lick, ShopAll Pharmacy, ShopAll Sound, Sims on the Go, The New Stand, and Voyage.
- Food Options – Belgian Beer Cafe, Budweiser Brewhouse, Discover New Jersey, Drop water, Dunkin’ Donuts, Farmer’s Fridge, Firehouse Subs, Jersey Reserve, Little Tony’s Pizza, Malone’s Fish Market, Panda Express, Piattino’s, Safe Travels, Salsarita’s Mexican Grill, Smashburger, Sra Japanese Cuisine & Sushi Bar, Starbucks, StrEAT, The Unusual Times, Tony & Benny’s, Vino Volo, and Zaro’s Bakeshop.
- Airline Lounges – British Airways Lounge, Delta Sky Club, Lufthansa Senator Lounge, SAS Lounge, and Virgin Atlantic Lounge.
Terminal C (Exclusively used by United Airlines)
- Airlines – United Airlines, and United Express (International and Domestic Arrivals)
- Shopping Options – CIBO Express Gourmet Market, Coach, Daily, Dufry Duty and Tax Free, Hudson Booksellers, InMotion Entertainment, Johnston & Murphy, Sims on the Go, The Collection, TUMI, and more.
- Food Options – Bar Left, Breakfast Boli, Casciano’s, CIBO Express Gourmet Market, Dunkin’ Coffee, Eggy Weggy, Flip Flop Pancakes, Flora Cafe, Garden State Cafeteria, Melange Bakery Cafe, Notorious Taco, Park American Grill, Philly Cheesesteaks, Poppy’s Bagels, Starbucks Coffee, Tacquila, Tagliare, The Deli, Wabi Sabi, Wendy’s, and World Bean Coffee.
- Airline Lounges – United Club, and United Polaris Lounge
Basic Terminal Facilities at EWR Airport
- Baggage Service
- ATM Banking
- Airport Information
- Charging Station
- Currency Exchange
- Airline Lounges
- MAMAVA Lactation Pod
- Nursing Suites
- Pet Relief Area
- Worship Spaces
- Food & Shopping Options
- Ground Transportation
- Airport Parking Facility
- Rental Car Services, and more.
Airlines Operating at EWR Airport
As one of the busiest airports in the country, EWR is served by several national and international airlines.
The U.S. Airlines at EWR Airport – Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Air, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue, Sun Country Airlines, Spirit Airlines, and United Airlines.
International airlines at EWR Airport – Aer Lingus, Air Canada, Air China, Air India, Austrian Airlines, British Airways, El Al, Elite Airways, Emirates, Ethiopian Airlines, Frenchbee, Icelandair, La Compagnie, LOT-Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Porter, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, SWISS, TAP Air Portugal, and Turkish Airlines.
Regarding the destinations, EWR is a major gateway to Europe, South America, Asia, and Oceania. The airlines mentioned above operate flights to various destinations worldwide from the airport. For destinations, you can visit the airport’s official website.
EWR Travel Tips
The following travel tips are important if you want to enhance your travel via Newark Liberty International Airport.
- Go through the airline’s baggage policy, TSA Restricted items, and other policies before your travel.
- Arrive airport at least 2 hours before your scheduled departure so that you get enough time for check-in, security screening, and reaching the boarding gate.
- Before leaving for the airport, you must check the status of your flight via your airline’s website or the airport’s website. With that, you will be aware of any changes, potential delays, or cancellations of your flight.
- EWR Airport offers various ground transportation services including AirTrain, Public Transportation, Taxi, Car & Van Service, and Rental Cars. Choose an appropriate option, and plan your airport travel efficiently.
- You can enjoy the amenities offered by Newark Airport which includes a variety of restaurants, shops, airline lounges, and services.
- Ensure you are following the pet travel policy.
- Besides EWR, there are other smaller airports in, and nearby Newark NJ including general aviation facilities, private airfields, and regional airports.
If you are traveling with your pets, make sure you are following the pet travel policies of the respective airlines. For detailed information on pet travel policies, you can refer to the following articles.
- American Airlines Pet Travel Policy
- Delta Air Lines Pet Travel Policy
- Frontier Airlines Pet Travel Policy
- JetBlue Pet Travel Policy
- Southwest Airlines Pet Travel Policy
- Spirit Airlines Pet Travel Policy
- United Airlines Pet Travel Policy
Teterboro Airport (TEB)
Teterboro Airport (ICAO: KTEB, IATA: TEB, FAA LID: TEB) is a general aviation facility located in Teterboro, a borough in Bergen County, New Jersey. The airport is owned, and operated by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
TEB covers a total area of 827 acres (335 ha), and features two asphalt runways: RWY 01/19 (7,000 ft. long), and RWY 06/24 (6,013 ft. long).
TEB is categorized as a general aviation reliever airport because it offers business aviation, and charter operations only. You won’t find scheduled airline service from the airport.
The key objective of the Teterboro Airport is to eliminate unscheduled, general aviation planes from the local air traffic to prevent significant congestion at the commercial airports managed by the Port Authority.
Essex County Airport (CDW)
Essex County Airport (ICAO: KCDW, IATA: CDW, FAA LID: CDW) is also among the general aviation reliever airports in Newark NJ that is owned by Essex County Improvement Authority.
The airport covers a total area of 275 acres (111 ha), and features two asphalt runways: RWY 4/22 (4,552 ft. long), and RWY 10/28 (3,719 ft. long).
Categorized as a general aviation reliever airport, CDW primarily services aviation-related businesses and private aircraft.
Linden Airport (LDJ)
Linden Airport (ICAO: KLDJ, IATA: LDK, FAA LID: LDJ) is one of the general aviation reliever airports in Newark NJ that is owned by the City of Linden.
The airport occupies a total area of 188 acres (76 ha), and features a single asphalt runway RWY 9/27 whose dimension is 4,140 ft by 100 ft (1,262 m by 30 m).
LDJ Airport serves private aircraft, business aviation, fueling, aircraft maintenance, and other general aviation operations.
Morristown Municipal Airport (MMU)
Morristown Municipal Airport (ICAO: KMMU, IATA: MMU, FAA LID: MMU) is also a general aviation reliever airport located 3 miles east of downtown Morristown
The airport occupies a total area of 625 acres (253 ha), and features two asphalt runways: RWY 5/23 (5,998 ft. long), and RWY 13/31 (3,997 ft. long).
As a general aviation reliever airport, MMU offers business aviation and general aviation operations.
What are the closest major airports to New Jersey?
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) is the closest primary commercial airport to New Jersey. Besides, there are other important international airports close to the region including LaGuardia Airport (LGA), John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), Philadelphia Airport (PHL), and Atlantic City International Airport (ACY).
|AIRPORTS NEAR NEW JERSEY||DISTANCE FROM NEW JERSEY||ESTIMATED DRIVING TIME|
|LaGuardia Airport (LGA)||22.2 miles||37 minutes|
|John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)||28.1 miles||43 minutes|
|Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)||94.8 miles||1 hour 28 minutes|
|Atlantic City International Airport (ACY)||113 miles||1 hour 46 minutes|
Conclusion on Airports in Newark NJ
We are at the end of this blog in which we discovered airports in Newark NJ. In a nutshell, Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) is the only major commercial airport in the region serving millions of passengers annually.
EWR offers various facilities, and amenities to travelers including dining options, shopping, airline lounges, transportation options, and other services.
Besides, passengers traveling to Newark have options to land at nearby airports, and take a short drive to reach the city. John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK–28.1 miles), and LaGuardia Airport (LGA – 22.2 miles) are the two closest airports to Newark city.
Overall, Newark Liberty International Airport and the nearby airports provide travelers with ample options and services to make their journey convenient and comfortable. With proper planning and following the necessary precautions, passengers can have a hassle-free and enjoyable travel experience.
FAQs on Airports in Newark NJ
What major airport is in Newark?
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) is the only major commercial airport in the city of Newark that serves flights to several domestic, and international destinations operated by 30+ airlines.
Is there more than one airport in Newark NJ?
There is only one airport that serves the city of Newark, New Jersey, and the surrounding areas, and that is Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR). However, there are several other airports in the vicinity, such as John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and LaGuardia Airport (LGA), which are located in New York City and are easily accessible from Newark by various means of transportation. Additionally, there are several smaller airports located in the region, including Teterboro Airport (TEB) and Morristown Municipal Airport (MMU), which cater to private and charter flights.
Is JFK or LGA closer to EWR?
LaGuardia Airport (LGA) is the closest airport to EWR compared to John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK). The fastest travel distance between EWR, and LGA is 22.2 miles whereas, for JFK, it is 28.1 miles. However, the actual travel time between airports can vary depending on traffic conditions and the mode of transportation used.
What airports are closest to EWR?
The closest airports to EWR are LaGuardia Airport (LGA–22.2 miles), and John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK–28.1 miles).